March 15th, 2018
2017 SURF Awardees
Faculty mentors play an integral role in the Undergraduate Research and Inquiry experience. This mentorship allows for the growth and development of young researchers to become successful in their respective areas. OURI offers a variety of ways for faculty to become engaged with the office, with varying time commitments. This includes Curricular and Co-Curricular programs, professional development, support and recognition events.
Annual Timeline of Events
(OURI Annual Calendar) Here you will find an annual list of opportunities for faculty and student engagement.
- Curriculum Grants Program - to support faculty integrating research into the curriculum
- Research Intensive Designation – to designate courses which include a research intensive component
- Directed Independent Research – to establish a varying-credit course for faculty-mentored research
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) - Intensive summer immersion research experiences for FAU undergraduate students
- Undergraduate Research Grants (URG) To encourage undergraduate students from all disciplines to participate in independent research and creative projects in collaboration with FAU faculty
- Undergraduate Research Symposium which showcases undergraduate students at FAU who are engaged in research, scholarship and creative activities.
- Florida Atlantic University Undergraduate Research Journal (FAURJ) is a is a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal which publishes undergraduate research articles in a single volume annually in Spring.
- Council of Undergraduate Research (CUR) - Obtain a FREE membership to the Council of Undergraduate Research (CUR).
- Annual Professional development workshops
- Resources from past workshops
- Resources to support grant writing efforts- Feb. 24, 2016 workshop
- Faculty Support for professional development (travel, material and supplies etc.) for mentors through many of our Curricular and Co-Curricular opportunities listed above
Tracking Students Research Activities
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (OURI) is working towards capturing individual student efforts regarding undergraduate research and inquiry under the guidance of a faculty mentor. This information will be used to showcase the impact of engaging in undergraduate research and creative activities. Please complete a short survey for students under your mentorship. The survey is aimed at collecting data specifically; those who have published, presented/competed/exhibited, won an award/fellowship/internship, received funding, and /or filed a patent. The activities reported should have be limited to those that are external to FAU. The link to the survey is provided (here)
- Annual Faculty Recognition Event –In order to recognize the efforts of the amazing faculty who expand the undergraduate research initiative, OURI hosts an annual "Faculty Recognition Event" early spring to celebrate their contributions.
- Distinguished Mentor of the year -
- Submit your Undergraduate Students' Success - OURI wants to hear about your successes! Has your student published an original work? Have they presented at a conference, symposium, or exhibition? Complete this short survey to document your students’ accomplishments.
- Submit An Undergraduate Research Opportunity
OURI encourages faculty members to utilize the online database Student Opportunity Center (S.O.C.). Faculty members are able to advertise specific student opportunities by having them listed on S.O.C. The database is a great recruiting tool because any listed opportunity will be linked to the FAU community page allowing for visibility to FAU undergraduate students. Click here for frequently asked questions and for directions on how to submit an opportunity.
Request a Classroom Visit from OURI
Peer mentors or OURI staff will present to classes and clubs about the Office and what it offers students. They will gear their presentation toward the group of students in your class and provide information relevant to the group. Presentations can be as short as 10 minutes with a brief overview of the office or as long as an hour with some engaging activities! Please email us at least ONE WEEK prior to the requested date in order for OURI to ensure the best presenters for the audience!
Email email@example.com your request, please include
- Date and Time of the presentation
- Location of the presentation
- How long will the mentor have to present? (e.g. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, etc.)
- Number of students
- Brief statement describing the group (e.g. sophomore psychology students, or juniors with a variety of majors, etc.)
- any additional information that may be helpful in organizing a presentation geared towards your students
- Faculty resources
Our Faculty Resources page contains articles and best practices for faculty and students participating in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry.