Paper Deadline: May 12, 2014
Application Deadline: May 30, 2014
The newest showcase from 2013 is now on display on the Jupiter Campus and will be there until May 2, 2014.
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (OURI)
Few activities are as rewarding intellectually as research. In addition to the acquisition of invaluable research skills, students learn how:
- knowledge is created and how that knowledge can be overturned with new evidence or new perspectives
- learn how to work independently, how to overcome obstacles
- the importance of ethics and personal conduct in the research process.
Undergraduate research can take place in every discipline. It is especially common in the life sciences and physical sciences, where an estimated 40 percent of students nationwide engage in research under faculty mentorship, but it is also found in the humanities, social sciences, and creative and performing arts.
OURI serves as a centralized support office for both faculty and students who are engaged in undergraduate research and inquiry.We offer university wide programs such as undergraduate research grants, the annual undergraduate research symposium, the undergraduate research journal etc. We also support departments and all colleges in their undergraduate and inquiry initiatives.
OURI Advisory Boards
OURI is guided and advised by a series of committees comprised of over 70 faculty, staff, students, and alumni representing all colleges and campuses at FAU. These dedicated committee members establish and guide the vision and mission of OURI in support of FAU's undergraduate research and inquiry initiative. The committees include:
- Curricula Committee: Co-Chaired by Sharon Dormire (Nursing) and James Fowlkes (eLearning)
- Co-Curricula Committee: Co-Chaired by Megan Davis (HBOI) and Donna Chamely-Wiik (OURI and Science)
- Communications and Marketing Committee: Co-Chaired by Diego Meeroff (University Marketing) and Donna Chamely-Wiik (OURI and Science)
- Assessment Committee: Chaired by Patricia Heydet-Kirsch (Education)
- Executive Committee: Comprised of committee chairs, chair of UUPC, and the Dean of Undergraduate Studies
These committees meet individually two times per semester and all committee members participate in an annual Distinction through Discovery Summer Retreat.
Contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 561-297-OURI (6874)