March 15th, 2018
2017 SURF Awardees
Distinguished Mentor of the Year Award:
2016 Distinguished Mentor of the Year Awardee:
Tobin Hindle, Ph.D. College of Science
Excellence in Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Mentorship
Faculty who serve as model mentors to their undergraduate students are eligible to receive the Distinguished Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year award. Each year, one university-wide award will be given. The Distinguished Undergraduate Research and Inquiry Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year will be recognized with a $2,500 award at the annual Honors Convocation.
Eligibility and Criteria for Selection
- Full time FAU faculty
- Demonstrated engagement of mentorship of students in undergraduate research and inquiry (i.e. co-curricular, curricular, individual, or group student mentorship)
- February 1st at 5:00 p.m.: Deans selection of College Nominee in the form of letter of support sent to OURI
- February 7 th College Nominees notified by OURI
- March 1st at 5:00 p.m.: College Nominee applications due
- April 19 t h Announcement of Distinguished Mentor at Honors Convocation
Deans will be asked to nominate one candidate from their college to OURI. The nomination should be in the form of a formal letter of recommendation from the Dean. Colleges can establish their own process for internal selection or nominations. College candidates will be notified of their nomination, and asked to submit an application to OURI.
College Nominees will be asked to provide the following information to OURI:
- A statement of undergraduate student mentorship philosophy (max 2 pages)
- Two letters of support from undergraduate student research mentees. These may be written from the curricular or co-curricular research perspectives.
- A current curriculum vitae outlining evidences of all undergraduate research and inquiry student involvement, including co-curricular student mentorship, curricular, and other.
- Complete the Faculty Engagement Survey.
Final selection of the DMOY will be made by the College Faculty liaisons and student representatives from our Council For Scholarship and Inquiry, based on the application materials provided and the Dean’s letter of recommendation.
Previous Distinguished Mentors
2016 Tobin Hindle, Ph.D. College of Science
2015 Daniel de Lill, Ph.D. College of Science
2014 Daniel Meeroff, Ph.D. College of Engineering and Computer Science