March 15th, 2018
OURI Undergraduate Researcher of the Year Award
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (OURI) invite nominations for the 2018 Undergraduate Researcher of the Year awards. Each year one student from every college will be selected for this award. Students will be recognized at the annual Honors Convocation and receive a $500 stipend and an "Undergraduate Research Scholar" Stole to wear during their graduation ceremony *new in the 2019 year*.
Nomination Deadline: February 1st, 2019
Eligibility. Students must:
- have participated in at least two semesters of documented faculty-mentored undergraduate research and inquiry at FAU within the past calendar year
- be an actively enrolled student at FAU during the semester the awards are given (Spring 2019) (Note: all research in 2018 must have been conducted as an undergraduate)
- be in good academic standing at FAU
Applications and Review Process
- All applications should be completed on FluidReview by February 1st, 2019
- Applications must be complete to be considered (see application guidelines). Self-nominations are encouraged.
- A committee consisting of faculty, staff, and students will select three student nominees from each college and forward them to the college deans for final selection.
- College deans will be asked to select students for these awards based on student involvement in research, inquiry, or scholarly activities and submit the college awardee to OURI.
- Selected Undergraduate Researchers of the Year will be recognized at the annual Honors Convocation in April.
TimelineFebruary 1st, 2019 Nominations and Applications due
Mid-February, 2019 Names and applications of three nominees will be sent to college deans for selection
March 1st, 2019 Names of final college awardees due to OURI from deans
April 19th, 2019 Announcement of Undergraduate Researchers of the Year at Honors Convocation
A complete application should include:
- Completed Online Nomination Form
- Current resume or curriculum vitae of the student (Maximum 5 pages) including the following if applicable:
- Evidences of all undergraduate research and inquiry participation
- Evidences of research achievements. This could include presentations, exhibitions, publications, competitions, awarded grants etc.
- A letter of support from faculty research mentor.
The evaluation is based on the quality and quantity of research conducted by the FAU student
2017 Undergraduates of the Year!
(From Left to right: Danielle Gordon, Haley Katz, Anna Riso, Jessica Halle, Kestride Estil, Kira Wolak, Vithulan Suthakaran, Alexandra Miller)
Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
Awardee: Kira Wolak
Faculty Mentor: Oliver Buckton
College of Business
Awardee: Danielle Gordon
Faculty Mentor: Allen Smith
College for Design and Social Inquiry
Awardee: Kestride Estil
Faculty Mentor: Jean Martin Caldieron
College of Education
Awardee: Jessica Halle
Faculty Mentor: Andy Khamoua
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Awardee: Vithulan Suthakaran
Faculty Mentor: Peng Yi
Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College
Awardee: Anna Riso
Faculty Mentor: Julie Earles
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine
Awardee: Haley Katz
Faculty Mentor: Mahyar Nouri-Shirazi
College of Nursing
Awardee: Alexandra Miller
Faculty Mentor: Nancey France
Charles E. Schmidt College of Science
Awardee: Andrea Hernandez
Faculty Mentor: Marianne Porter