October 15th, 2017
2017 SURF Awardees
Congratulations to the 2017 Undergraduate Researchers of the Year!
Congratulations to the 2017 Distinguished Mentor of the Year, Tobin Hindle, Ph.D.!
Florida Atlantic Undergraduate Research Journal (FAURJ) Cover Contest
The Florida Atlantic University Undergraduate Research Journal (FAURJ) is an interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed journal that is published annually. The FAURJ is published online and in print by OURI's student club, the Council for Scholarship and Inquiry (C.S.I.). Its missions are to showcase high quality undergraduate research in all fields, supply students with an idea of the standard of research, and promote inquiry-based activities at FAU. The journal can be viewed on the nationally recognized, Council on Undergraduate Research website. The newest volume of the FAURJ is published each year in March prior to the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium.
Every year we hold the FAURJ Cover Art Contest, which offers students the opportunity to display their art on the cover of the nationally recognized research journal. The FAURJ and the Office of Undergraduate Research (OURI) exist to encourage research across all disciplines. This contest invites critical thought about research with a simple prompt: What does research mean to you?
Take some time to consider your field and what kind of research is being done.
What should I include in the Design?
To be considered, each design must include the following characteristics:
- Must be creative and original
- Must encompass what research looks like to you
- Interdisciplinary designs are favorable
- Must include the following FAU logos:
- FAURJ is a 6 x 9 in. The thickness of the spine changes every year depending on the number of pages in that particular volume. We estimate that the spine thickness is .25 inches.
- FAURJ is perfect bound. That means that front cover, spine, and back cover are one continuous piece of paper (think of how magazines are bound). For this reason, submissions are to be full spread designs, that is, front cover, back cover and spine, all in one.
- The covers are 6” x 9” and the spine is .24” so the full spread is 12.25” x 9”
- Here are some downloadable Spec Templates:
- Covers: 6 in x 9 in
- Spine: .25 in (estimate)
- Full Spread: 12.25 in x 9 in
- 300 dpi
- Submitted in .pdf format
- 1/8” full bleed
Once you have finished your cover art, please complete the online application through FluidReview (see instructions below), and upload your work. The link to FluidReview is https://ouri.fluidreview.com/. Please read through all of these instructions before attempting to submit.
- After clicking on the link, you will land on the Log-In page for OURI's FluidReview. If you have an FAU username and password (i.e., an active FAU email account), please click on the "Sign In or Register" button ONLY. You will be redirected to FAU's single sign-on page where you will sign in using your FAU credentials (NOTE: this may require a push notification).
- Once you are signed into OURI's FluidReview, you will need to complete the Eligibility task. This is a one-time form that determines to which applications/programs you are eligible to apply.
- Once your Eligibility is complete, click on the blue button labeled "View Programs."
- Search for the "FAURJ Cover Art" application that has "Apply Now" button on the far right side.
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the prompts.
- You must submit your application once all tasks are complete.
The cover spread (front cover + back cover + spine) is 12.25” x 9”. If you’re working traditionally, it never hurts (and often helps) to make your image bigger than the final dimensions; however, be sure to maintain the ratio if you scale up. For example:
100% = 12.25 x 9
150% = 18.75 x 13.5
200% = 24.5 x 18
If you run into problems, have questions, or need clarification please contact Tracy Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org. For design and technical issues, please contact Luca Brunozzi at email@example.com