New Student Orientation is excited about your interest in becoming a 2018 Orientation Leader. The Orientation Leader (O.L.) position is one of the most prestigious student leader positions at Florida Atlantic University. This group of student leaders have the unique opportunity to welcome over 7,000 new owls and family members to our university community. Throughout this leadership experience, you will gain skills that will prepare you for the future, both personally and professionally all while having the summer of your life.
Please attend one of the upcoming Information Sessions. Attending an Information Session is required for the application process.
- Thursday, September 28th at 4 pm – 5 pm in Nations Multipurpose Room
- Tuesday, October 3rd from 7 pm – 8 pm in Nations Multipurpose Room
- Friday, October 13th from 12 pm – 1 pm in Heritage Park Towers Multipurpose Room
- Thursday, October 19th from 10 am – 11 am in Heritage Park Towers Multipurpose Room
- Monday, October 23rd from 1 pm – 2 pm in Nations Multipurpose Room*
- Thursday, October 26th from 6 pm – 7 pm in Nations Multipurpose Room*
*The Nations multipurpose room is located in the Student Housing Services building, room 109 in-between Algonquin Hall and Glades Park Towers.
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation for this position will include a stipend of $3,000. A portion of $2,600 will be paid out bi-weekly over Summer 2018. The remaining $400 will be paid out at the end of the Fall 2018 semester upon successful completion of Orientation Leader responsibilities.
- This position also includes an on-campus room package for the Summer 2018 semester at no cost. This includes a double bedroom and all utilities.
- Meals during freshman orientation sessions are provided
- Uniform attire for orientation sessions, including, but not limited to, two polo shirts and a t-shirt.
- Friendships and many fun memories!
Length of Position
The duration of the position is from January 2018 through the first week of the semester beginning in January 2019, with the majority of the workload-taking place from May through August. Training Orientation Leaders (OLs) will be required to attend weekly training sessions for 3.5 hours a week. It is our expectation that they will also contribute time and effort to New Student Orientation as needed (Team building, leadership skill development, SROW preparation, tour training, among other topics.)
- Weekly training sessions are to take place on Monday afternoon from 9:30 a.m. 1:00 p.m. throughout the spring semester. This time is tentative and subject to change. During this time students that have not already completed the LDR 2010 course (1 credit) will need to register for the Orientation Leader section of that course.
- Please note that the weekly training sessions are mandatory and OLs must be available and in attendance for the full training sessions. OLs MAY NOT be enrolled in class during training.
- From March 16-18, 2018 the OL team will be traveling to Orlando, FL to attend the Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW). To assist with the cost of this conference, OLS will be asked to fund raise or to contribute personal funds of $75.
- During the summer semester OLs will participate in mandatory training sessions prior to the start of Freshmen orientation sessions, 8:00am-8:00pm (times are approximate).