Skype for Business / Lync
About Skype for Business / Lync
Skype for Business / Lync is a service that lets you connect with others through instant messaging (IM), video calls, and online meetings. You can use IM and video calls with other FAU users and meetings can take place with FAU users or people external to FAU. FAU desktop computers have Skype for Business / Lync installed by default.
- Install the Lync desktop client
- Add a contact
- Set up a Lync Meeting
- Start an IM conversation
Install the Lync desktop client
If you do not currently have Lync 2013 installed on your desktop, please contact your consultant and request that your Office installation be upgraded to Office 2013 with Lync 2013
Add a contact
- In the Lync main window, go to Add a Contact > Add a Contact in my Organization
- Type the person’s name or email address in the search box
- Right-click the listing, click After you’ve added a contact you can double-click their name in the client and use the icons at the bottom of the window to start an instant message, phone call (requires a microphone or webcam with microphone), video call (requires a webcam), desktop sharing, or meeting, and select a group to add the contact to
After you’ve added a contact you can double-click their name in the client and use the icons at the bottom of the window to start an instant message, phone call (requires a microphone or webcam with microphone), video call (requires a webcam), desktop sharing, or meeting
Set up a Skype / Lync Meeting
If you use Outlook or Outlook Web App, you can schedule a recurring or single online meeting similar to the way you use Outlook to schedule regular meetings. The Lync Meeting link is automatically added to your meeting request.
If you don’t use an Outlook program (or Windows), you can set up new meetings by using Lync Web Scheduler. Access it at https://sched.lync.com, or learn more at Lync Web Scheduler.
To set up a Skype / Lync Meeting by using Outlook 2013
- Open Outlook, and go to your calendar
- On the Home tab, on the Lync Meeting ribbon, click New Lync Meeting
- Set up the meeting as you typically would
- In the meeting area, type an agenda. Be careful not to change any of the Lync meeting information
- (Optional) On the Outlook ribbon, click Scheduling Assistant to make sure you have the best time for the meeting
- Click Send
Start an IM conversation
- Locate the person you want to send an instant message to by finding them in search, your Contacts list, or anywhere else their contact listing appears in Lync (for example, in your conversation history or a conversation window). To start the IM conversation with more than one person or with a group, see the next two sections.
- Do one of the following:
- Hover over their picture in the Contacts list and click the IM button on the Quick Lync bar.
- Double-click anywhere on their contact listing.
- Right-click their listing and select Send an Instant Message.
- Type your message at bottom of the conversation window.
- (Optional) To send a file or image, do one of the following:
- Drag-and-drop a saved file into the text input area.
- Copy and paste a saved file or any image from an Office program into the text input area.
- Press PrtScn on your keyboard to capture an image directly from your screen, and then paste it into the text input area.
- Press Enter on your keyboard to send the message. Anyone using the most recent version of Lync will see next to each instant message a picture of the person who sent it. This works for both one-to-one conversations and conferences.
- (Optional) Add others to the conversation by dragging their contact listing from your Contacts list into the conversation window.