Florida Atlantic University Combined Bachelor's/MD Programs
Application Deadline is January 10, 2020
Florida Atlantic University College of Medicine offers several highly selective early admission programs for both your undergraduate and medical degrees.
Students admitted into this program will be offered conditional admission* to FAU's College of Medicine provided they maintain the required program standards. Each student will work very closely with the program coordinator to develop an individual education plan and to ensure a smooth transition into the College of Medicine.
* Upon completion of program requirements (please see below for more details).
- Med Direct 7-8 year combined BS/MD is a collaborative effort between the College of Science and College of Medicine, offered on the Boca Raton Campus.
- Wilkes Medical Scholars 7-8 year combined BS/MD is a collaborative effort between the Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College and College of Medicine, offered on the Jupiter Campus.
- Select high school finalists come to FAU in the spring of their senior year for an interview with the selection committee from the College of Medicine.
- Admission to undergraduate and medical education at the same time, as long as you successfully complete the program requirements.
- Mentoring from medical students and faculty in the College of Medicine.
- Meaningful research, volunteer and medical experiences.
- Multiple occasions to interact with the College of Medicine and the surrounding 9 hospitals in our hospital consortium.
- Personal pre-medical advising throughout the entire undergraduate program.
- Priority in scheduling classes.
- If you change your mind and decide not to attend medical school, you still have great choices for an outstanding education!
Undergraduate Expectations and Program Requirements
Students in MedDirect and Wilkes Medical Scholars are expected to finish each undergraduate semester with a GPA of at least 3.7. Single semester GPA’s lower than 3.7 will trigger an automatic review by the Committee for continuation in the program.
All students must adhere to and exhibit the high moral and ethical values of one entrusted with the privilege of studying and practicing medicine at all times during their undergraduate enrollment. Failure to do so will be cause for instant dismissal from the program. Students who are dismissed or wish to leave the program may continue their enrollment at FAU provided they meet eligibility requirements. In no case may students delay their entry to the College of Medicine by more than one year.
In addition to the requirements stated above, all students are expected to participate in at least one of the following activities/experiences during each semester they are enrolled. These experiences are semester-long activities and cannot be accomplished in less time.
- A specialized pre-health course (e.g. Intro to Pre-Professional Studies, Basic Clinical Skills, Internship)
- Experience in the medical field (hospital, clinic, hospice, physician’s office but not with parents or parent’s friends)
- Community health volunteer (migrant farm workers, homeless, socioeconomically disadvantaged, underserved)
- Laboratory research (with faculty in Science or Medicine)
- Medically related employment (work-study, hospital, research, commercial)
- Study abroad/teach abroad/volunteer abroad in health care setting
- Medical scribe or medical translator activities
- Mentoring from medical students and faculty in the College of Medicine
- Standardized Patient Program
- Thesis (current topics in biomedical field in a form suitable for publication a peer-reviewed journal)
Please contact us to receive more information about the Combined Bachelor’s/MD Programs: Ms. Debbi Johnson-Rais email@example.com
Minimum Eligibility and Application Requirements for both programs:
- Minimum scores: 1490 SAT or 33 ACT
- Weighted High School GPA: 4.30
- Medical Pipeline Online Application
- Resume (please email to firstname.lastname@example.org with applicant's first and last name in the subject line)
- Acceptance to FAU and/or Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College by January 10, 2020
- Student must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Letter of recommendation from a counselor or high school teacher emailed to email@example.com (with the subject line stating the first and last name of the student)
Fill out the application form below