On June 28, the Board of Trustees approved an operating budget for 2006-07 of just over $493 million. This represents an increase of 6.5 percent over last year. The budget includes a salary increase of 3% above the base rate of pay — effective on Oct. 1, 2006 — for each eligible employee of the State University System whose position is funded by the General Revenue Fund.
The University also received state funding to support several
high-priority programs and initiatives, including:
- $5 million for the FAU/University of Miami Medical Education Partnership Program
- Nearly $4 million to support enrollment increases
- $2.2 million for expanded access to degree programs on the Port St. Lucie campus
- $2 million to assist with the University's escalating utility costs
- $1.9 million in matching funding for scholarship donations
- $750,000 for the new Center for Disaster Emergency Healthcare
- $715,000 for the Autism/CARD Center
- $507,000 for graduate nursing programs
- $200,000 for the Florida-Israel Institute
The budget also includes funding through the Legislature of the following major projects:
- Phase 2 construction of a new building on the Port St. Lucie campus: $10 million
- Planning/construction of a new building on the Davie campus: $9.3 million
- Remodeling/expansion of the university-wide computer center: $2 million
- Planning of an engineering classroom building: $3 million
The Legislature also provided $3 million in matching funds for gifts to the University by Office Depot for the construction of the Office Depot Executive Development Center and by the Forkas family for the construction of the Forkas Alumni Center.
"The budget will promote substantial growth and progress in the coming year," said President Brogan. "I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who worked hard to support the University's legislative agenda, particularly the Trustees, faculty members, students and administrators who went to Tallahassee for FAU Days. Their efforts produced excellent results."
A detailed PowerPoint slideshow of the 2006-07 budget presentation is available here (note: you will need PowerPoint to view the downloaded file). It includes information on how the budget supports the University's Strategic Plan.