Judge Betty Weinberg Ellerin:
First woman appointed as a Justice
of the Appellate Division, N.Y.
By Seymour “Sy” Brody
In 1985, Judge Betty Weinberg was the first woman appointed as a Judge of the Appellate Division, First Department, N.Y. In 1989, she was the first woman to serve as Presiding Justice of that court.
She served from 1982 to 1985 as a Deputy Chief Administration Judge of the State of New York. Her primary responsibility was to oversee the operation of all the trial courts in New York City which had 425 Judges and more than 4,700 non-judicial personnel.
Judge Ellerin graduated Washington Square College on 1950 with a B.A. com laude. She graduated New York University School of Law with a LL.B., in 1952. She was a Judge in the Civil Court of the City of New York, 1977-1978. Judge Ellerin became a Justice, Supreme Court, New York County, 1980-1981.
Judge Ellerin retired from the bench in December, 2005. Many of her professional experiences were decisions on hundreds of cases, which included breach of contract. construction. corporate employment. environmental, insurance, medical malpractice. real estate and torts.
She received many awards and honors during her judicial career which included Women’s Lawyers Achievement Award; Harlan Fiske Stone Award for the Association of Trial Lawyers of the City of New York; Distinguished Service Award from the Defense Association of New York; First Outstanding Jurist Award.
She also received the New York County Lawyers’ Association Award for Conspicuous Service, in recognition of 50 years of service in 2005. She also received many other awards and recognitions.
Judge Ellerin served for many years as a member of the Board of HIAS and was very active in many other organizations.
She is married to Milton H. Ellerin, a Wall Street Lawyer. They have three children.
Judge Ellerin spearheaded the opportunities for women to reach new heights in the judicial system.
For additional information, contact
Special Collections and Archives
S.E. Wimberly Library
FAU Home Page
FAU Libraries Home Page