News & Events
Recent JLSI Student Awards and Achievements
- Participants, Electrophysiology Course “ELECTRAIN 2015” at Georg-August-Universitat in Goettingen in May (will serve as an FAU course model): Brandon Lloyd and Monica Risley.
- Participants, “Neurizons In Molecular Biology” Meeting at The Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Goettingen (May 2015): Brandon Lloyd, Monica Risley and Nanna Ásgeirsdóttir.
- Recipients, Saurino Scholarship (April 2014): Monica Risley, Brandon Lloyd and Kent Fairchild.
- Recipient, Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year from the College of Science (FAU Northern Campus Achievement Award April 2014): Monica Risley.
- Recipients, Lifelong Learning Society Scholarship (FAU Northern Campus Achievement Award April 2015): Emir (Tyrone) Penserga and Priyanka Kakad.
- Recipient, First Place Award in Interdisciplinary Category (FAU GPSA Research Day March 2015): Olena Makhnyeva.
- Recipients, FAU 2015 Pilot GRIP (Graduate Research and Inquiry Program) Award, Emir (Tyrone) Penserga and Ye Sun.
The Palm Beach Chapter of the Society for Neuroscience (SfN) offers a venue for social and scientiﬁc interactions with local neuroscientists. The most recent event was at the Max Planck Florida Institute. Click here for more details.
Flies on the Beach
The “Flies On The Beach” meeting was recently held at FAU, Jupiter. Eleven talks and over twenty posters were presented by fruit fly scientists from FAU, University of Miami and The Scripps Research Institute Florida.
FAU Seminar Series
Partners Seminar Series
- Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience Seminar Series
- The Scripps Research Institute, Florida Seminar Series
- Dr. Dawson-Scully: The Science Behind the Survival Skills of Cells Under Stress
- Fruit flies 'push the limit' and lead researchers to an unexpected discovery
- Timeout for FAU Scientist Has Huge Payoff
- An Alternative Approach To Science Is Illuminated By Nobel Laureate’s Visit To FAU
- Worm Research Sheds Light on Human Aging and Disease
- FAU Jupiter Campus could get scientific makeover by Scott Travis (Sun Sentinel)
Other Short News
- Dr. Kailiang Jia, FAU Associate Professor, was awarded an NIH R15 grant for three years, totaling $356,678.00
- Dr. Alex Keene has been hired as an Associate Professor in the Biological Sciences Department at FAU and will set up his Jupiter-based lab in August 2015. Keene brings one NSF and two NIH grants to FAU. He studies the genetic basis of sleep and memory using the fruit fly and the blind Mexican cavefish. Keene has 29 peer-reviewed articles in high impact journals. He will bring five graduate students and one postdoctoral fellow to FAU.
- Silvana Jaramillo Coordinator, Academic Support has joined the JLSI group and will be the go-to point person for financial issues including grant budgets and contracts.
- Three students to join the IBAN joint Ph.D. Program in 2015:
- Jeff van Note (M.S., Karlsruhe Institute of Technology) joined Spring 2015
- Camillo Yepes (B.S. FAU) will start in Fall 2015
- Karlis Justs (M.S. FAU) will start in Fall 2015