International Student Health Insurance Requirements
Required medical insurance information:
All International students and scholars with F and J non-immigrant status in the United States are required to have health insurance that meets the Florida Board of Governor’s requirements.
1. FAU insurance plan:
International students will be routinely enrolled in the university-sponsored Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP), and the insurance premium will be charged to the student’s FAU account.
- Benefits summary: http://fau.edu/student/pdf/2019-2020-fau-international-students.pdf
- Questions & Answers (including cost information): http://fau.edu/shs/PDFs/2019-2020-international-faq.pdf
Some international students are eligible for Alternate Insurance. Eligibility requirements for Alternate Insurance http://fau.edu/shs/immunization/insurance.php#card-element-insurance
International students who wish to use an alternate insurance plan must submit a waiver form by the deadline. Students who do not submit a waiver form by the deadline will have the premium for SHIP added to their student account.
2. Waiver information for students who wish to use a non-FAU/outside plan:
To submit a waiver, go to www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU and click on “International Student Waiver”. The website and online forms are now available.
The deadline to submit your waiver for Summer 2020:
- Summer 1&2 (beginning on May 16, 2020): Waiver deadline: Monday, May 11
- Summer 3 (beginning on June 27, 2020): Waiver deadline: Monday, June 22
Please note that FAU ISS does not oversee the student health insurance process (including waiver).
For any other questions please contact FAU Student Health Services (SHS): http://fau.edu/shs/about/contact_us.php
Alternate Insurance Plan Requirements:
Requirements for Alternate Student Health Insurance for International Students
(per Florida Board of Governors Regulation 6.009, amended 6/23/2016)
- Claims: The alternate policy has a claims agent located in the United States.
- Coverage Period: Policy must provide, at a minimum, continuous coverage for the entire period the insured is enrolled as an eligible student, including annual breaks during that period. The policy is prepaid and/or non-cancelable for the entire coverage period. Payment of benefits cannot be limited to a specific period of time (i.e., must be renewable).
NOTE: For students beginning enrollment at FAU in the Spring or Summer terms, coverage must extend from at least the beginning of the term started to the third week of August. For students graduating in the Fall term, coverage must extend through the first week of January.
- Basic Benefits: Room, board, hospital services, physician fees, surgeon fees, ambulance, outpatient services, and outpatient customary fees must be paid at 80% or more of usual, customary, the reasonable charge per accident or illness after the deductible is met, for in-network, and 70% or more of usual, customary, and reasonable charge for out-of-network providers per accident or illness.
- Inpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees with a minimum 30‑day cap per benefit period.
- Outpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees for a minimum of 30 (preferably 40) sessions per year.
- Maternity Benefits: Must be treated as any other temporary medical condition and paid at no less than 80% of usual and customary fees in‑network or 60% out-of-network.
- Inpatient/Outpatient Prescription Medication: Offers coverage of $1000 or more.
- Exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions: The first six months of the policy period, at most.
- Deductible: Maximum of $50 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at FAU Student Health Services, maximum of $100 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at an off-campus ambulatory care or hospital emergency department facility, or $400 cumulative per policy year.
- Minimum coverage: $200,000 for covered injuries/illnesses per accident or illness, per policy year, with no internal caps or limitations for covered injuries or illnesses.
- Insurance Carrier must have an “A” rating or above per Part 62.14(d) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
- The policy must not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the student’s program of study.
- Claims must be paid in U.S. dollars payable on a U.S. financial institution.
- Policy provisions must be available from the insurer in English.
- Policy premiums shall be refundable if the student is no longer eligible for policy (in no other instances shall the policy be refundable.
- *Repatriation: $25,000 (coverage to return the student’s remains to his/her native country).
- *Medical Evacuation: $50,000 (to permit the patient to be transported to his/her home country and to be accompanied by a provider or escort if directed by the physician in charge).
Access to your insurance card / Proof of insurance (FAU Student Health Insurance Plan):
Dear international students,
Please click here for more information on how to obtain your insurance card/proof of insurance.
If you have any additional questions in regards to your health insurance plan please contact Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk directly.
You can contact them using the following options:
- Live chat http://www.gallagherstudent.com/FAU
- Via their customer service form: https://www.gallagherstudent.com/students/customer-service.php?idField=1433
- Phone 617-769-1247
- Toll Free 833-468-9571