FAQ - Housing Contract

I have been accepted to the university. Now what?

Congratulations on your acceptance! Please review the instructions on how to complete your housing contract online located in the Apply Now section as spaces are assigned on a first come, first served basis and FAU Housing fills quickly. Please note that housing is not automatic unless the contract is completed online, a housing deposit is on file, and all questions and materials are submitted in full. Students can apply to live on campus as soon as they are admitted to FAU. A student is eligible to live on campus when you are: 
• Accepted to FAU and;
• Planning to be a full time, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student.

Back To Top

What is the Housing Contract?

The housing contract establishes a legally binding, academic-year-long contract between the Student, parent or guardian (if applicable) and the Florida Atlantic University Board of Trustees. Upon submission, the contract is binding for the entire academic year, both Fall and Spring, and students are bound to all Terms and Conditions of this agreement. We also have separate contracts for Summer semester terms.

Back To Top

Am I required to live on campus?

All full-time first year students are required to live in University Housing. Exceptions are made for the following reasons:

  • A student is residing with their parent or legal guardian and is from within a 30-mile commutable distance from the campus.
  • A student is at least 21 years of age.
  • A student is married.
  • Students who wish to be exempt must apply for an exemption by July 1 for the fall semester or December 1 for the spring semester. The Application for Exemption from the Residency Requirement can be found under the “Resources” section of our website.

Back To Top

How do I apply for Housing at FAU?

A student must be admitted as a full time, degree seeking student to be eligible for University Housing. Please follow these five easy steps to apply for housing and complete your contract:

  1. Once you’re admitted, be sure to get your FAU Student ID (FAU net ID) and Password, and have them ready.
  2. Log in to MyFAU.
  3. Navigate to the Housing and Residential Education channel, and click Housing Online.
  4. Log in under Apply Online.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your contract, answering all questions along the way*.

*You may be required to pay a deposit. If you are, the system will forward you to the online payment site. You can pay by credit card or electronic check. Upon successful completion and submission of your online contract, you will see a notification on your screen saying “Thanks for submitting your contract.” A copy of this page will be sent to your FAU e-mail account. If you do not see the “Thanks for submitting your contract” page, your submission is unsuccessful. We will not be able to process your contract and you will have to resubmit the contract.

Back To Top

What if I receive a message stating my payment method was unsuccessful?

If your selected payment method results in this message being displayed, we will not be able to make the payment accepted by the payment system. Rest assured, your credit card or bank account is not charged when this message appears. You may take one of the following steps to correct this: 
• Use another credit card
• Use an electronic check
• Mail in a paper contract and personal check or money order from our forms section here.

Back To Top

Do I need to pay my Tuition Deposit before signing a Housing Contract?

No. However, you will not receive a room assignment until the tuition deposit is paid. Please check with the Admissions office at 561-297-3040 for the deadline to pay the tuition deposit. 

Back To Top

Do I have to sign up for a meal plan?

Students who are assigned to the residence halls (Algonquin Hall, Glades Park Towers, Heritage Park Towers, Indian River Towers, Parliament Hall) do require a meal plan. Students assigned to both the Innovation Village North and South Apartments, or the University Village Apartments do NOT have to buy a meal plan, because they have their own full kitchens in each apartment. Students living in the apartments are free to purchase Owl Bucks or a commuter meal plan. Please visit the Dining Services website for more information.

Back To Top

Is there a deadline for signing up for Housing?

We encourage students to apply before May 1. Priority is given by date of the housing contract is completed. While there is no particular deadline to sign up for Housing, students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to avoid being placed on a waiting list for Housing.

Back To Top

I have the Florida Pre-Paid Dormitory Plan. What does this mean for me at FAU?

When you request a residence hall, you will be given a priority assignment, provided the completed Housing Contract is returned by May 1. The Dormitory Plan portion of the Florida Pre-Paid College Program covers only the rate for our least expensive double room in Glades Park Towers or Heritage Park Towers. You may upgrade your requested preferences, but are responsible for paying any additional costs. You MUST indicate on your Housing Contract that you are a participant in this plan to get a priority assignment. The Dormitory Plan will not cover the $100 one-time non-refundable administration charge.

Back To Top

I have a disability and need to request a specific type of space. What should I do?

A limited number of spaces are designed to be accessible and can accommodate students with special needs. The specific nature of your disability should be identified so we can work with you to meet your needs and make your assignment. You must register with the Student Accessibility Services. Specific written documentation will be requested from you and your physician or diagnostician to support the request; that documentation will be evaluated by the SAS staff and recommendations to the Housing Office will be made regarding your needs, the appropriate modifications, and assignments. The process of review does take some time. The Housing Office is not able to honor requests for special accommodations without an evaluation from the SAS staff, and you need to complete the Housing Contract and SAS paperwork prior to June 1 for a Fall start, November 1 for a Spring start, and April 1 for a Summer start.

Back To Top

I am an International Student. How can I apply as a degree seeking student?

International students who will be degree-seeking should apply through the regular International Admissions Application process. Please visit the International Students Admissions website to get started with the admissions process.

Back To Top

I am an International Student. How can I apply as a non-degree seeking student?
International students who are part of an exchange or cooperative program that have an institutional agreement with FAU may apply to live on campus as a non-degree seeking student, please look at our living options. Once you determine you want to live on campus, complete the housing application and contract. Please visit the International Programs website for more information.

Back To Top

 Last Modified 2/9/18