Desk Staff Recruitment is now closed and will open again in Spring 2018.
The Desk Staff is highly valued by the Department of Housing and Residential Education at FAU. We count on our Desk Staff to provide outstanding quality customer service to the students, staff, faculty, and visitors of FAU. As a Desk Staff member, your primary role is that of a resource person. You serve as the primary contact person for visitors, students, and most importantly to our residents. As a resource person, you help your customer find the information they seek.
Housing and Residential Education employs two Desk Staff positions, Desk Assistants (DA) and Night Staff. These positions are separate and cannot be held concurrently. Although their responsibilities and roles are primarily the same they differentiate in their work hours and compensation.
Desk Assistant Position works primarily during the day between the hours of 6am and 1am. This position is compensated $10.00 per hour.
Night Staff Position works during the night between the hours of 1am and 6am. This position is compensated $10.75 per hour.
Desk Staff Application Process Timeline
Monday Feb 13 – Thursday 23
||DA Informational Tabling in each hall|
|Friday, March 3 at midnight||Application opens on HR website (jobs.fau.edu)|
|Friday, March 17 at 11:59 p.m.||Applications close on HR website|
|Thursday, March 23||Interviews (Nations MPR) from 1 - 5 p.m. – you must be available on this day|
|Monday, April 3||Desk Staff hiring decisions sent out|
I am interested in becoming a Desk Staff Member.
Desk Staff Application Qualifications and Expectations The minimum qualifications in order to apply are below. Should you not meet the following qualifications, you will NOT be eligible to apply. Should you be considered for the position, please note the following. Read this section carefully.
- Enrolled as a full-time, FAU degree-seeking student for each semester of employment.
- Undergraduate student status: registered for 12 (not to exceed 17) credit hours per semester.
- Graduate student status: registered for a 9 (not to exceed 12) credit hours per semester.
- Have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.25 or a 3.0 (Graduate GPA) at the time of application.
- Available to attend Student Staff Training and other training sessions deemed necessary by the Department of Housing and Residential Education staff throughout the contract period, approximately 1 week prior to the start of the fall semester, and three to five days prior to the start of the spring semester.
- Be in good standing with Florida Atlantic University and the Department of Housing and Residential Education (i.e. no disciplinary probation, outstanding financial obligations, etc.).
- A respect for, and appreciation of, the diversity of the University Housing population.
- Willing to work between the hours of 12 a.m. - 11:59 p.m. on weekdays, weekends as scheduled, during holidays (i.e. winter, spring, and holiday breaks) and between academic terms.
- A commitment to personal and professional development while in the role.
For more information about the Desk Staff Selection Process, e-mail DASAselection@fau.edu.
If you have never worked for or been employed by FAU, in addition to completing a Student Assistant Application form for the Department of Housing and Residential Education, you are required to complete the on-line Student Application through PeopleAdmin (FAU on-line database) before you are eligible for FAU employment. You can access it through the FAU Employment site and "Create Application". Select Student Application. Please do this as soon as possible. Also if you have never worked for or been employed by FAU, go to the FAU Student Employment site and click on "Just Hired" to see what steps you must follow and forms you need to complete to be employed.
If you are interested in a long term career with Florida Atlantic University please visit FAU Employment for the current FAU career opportunities.