M.S. Biology students at Harbor Branch tend to undertake a thesis commitment. The thesis option is designed for students, whose career goals include a research emphasis, including the possibility of enrolling in a Ph.D. program. Students who choose the thesis option take 36 credits of course work, with up to one-third devoted to independent research under the supervision of a faculty member, culminating in a thesis. Students may choose advisors from the Biology faculty, or from other faculty members who have courtesy appointments within the department. The application deadlines are January 15 for the fall semester and October 1 for the spring semester.
Minimum of 36 credit hours (Thesis option)
- 12 hrs at a 6000 level (excluding research credits)
- 6 hrs Master’s Thesis credits (BSC 6971)
- 2 hrs Thesis Seminar credits (usually in Year 1 and Year 2)
- No more than 6 credits of Thesis Research
- Remaining credits should be at a 5000 or 6000 level
- Up to 3 hrs can be taken at Directed Independent Study (BSC 6905) and Thesis Research (BSC 6971) for exploratory feasibility of thesis research project.
Degree must be completed within 7 yearsAdditional Information
Faculty Advisors - Coming soon