Center for Marine Biomedical and Biotechnology Research
Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University
1979-1983 Ph.D. Microbiology/Biochemistry,
University of Kent, Canterbury, UK.
Supervisors: Keith Gull (UKC), Peter Troke (Pfizer UK, Sandwich, Great Britain), Neil Ryder (Sandoz Research Institute, Vienna, Austria)
1976-1979 B.Sc. (Hons) Class II (1) Biochemistry,
Victoria University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
USA / Great Britain
The discovery of novel natural products and enzymes produced by heterotrophic marine-derived microorganisms.
- 2008 – Present: Research Professor, Center for Marine Biomedical and Biotechnology Research, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University
- Duties include: The establishment and maintenance of an active research program in the discovery of novel therapeutic and biotechnological agents from marine microorganisms; establishing and maintaining screens to detect antimicrobial agents including those active against pathogenic bacteria (e.g. MRSA) and fungi; discovery and development of enzymes with utility in the biofuels arena; supervision of technical staff, post-doctoral scientists, students and volunteers; preparation of progress reports for use by senior management; establishment of annual budgets and operation of research program within budget limits; participation in scientific conferences and panels at the national/international level.
- Teaching responsibilities include: a one semester course in Marine Microbiology and Molecular Biology aimed at advanced undergraduate/graduate students; a one semester course in Marine Microbiology; lectures on Microbiology and Drug Discovery for High School students; periodic lectures aimed at a general audience through the Ocean Science Lecture Series; and training of interns in lab-based research projects.
- 2006-2007: Senior Scientist, Head of Microbiology, Center for Ocean Exploration, HBOI
- 2002- 2007: Affiliate Professor, Biology Department, Florida Atlantic University
- 2003-2008: Radiation Safety Officer, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution.
- 2002- 2006: Associate Division Director/Head of Microbiology, DBMR
- 1996-2002: Group Leader, DBMR Microbiology Laboratory
- 1994-6: Group Leader, DBMR Screening and Biochemistry Laboratories
- 1992-4: Group Coordinator, DBMR High-Throughput Screening Laboratory
- 1988-92: Group Coordinator Antifungal Discovery, HBOI/Division of Biomedical Marine Research
- 1985-8 Research Consultant, SeaPharm Project, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution: Antifungal Discovery/Marine Microbiology
- 1983-5 Post-Doctoral Research Scientist, Dept. of Natural Products Pharmacology, Smith Kline and French Labs (Supervisors, Drs. Louis J. Nisbet and David Newman)
- 1979-83 Ph.D. Student, University of Kent at Canterbury, UK (Supervisor, Dr. Keith Gull) and Sandoz Research Institute Vienna, Austria (Supervisors, Drs. Peter F. Troke and Neil S. Ryder).
- McCarthy, P.J. Peptide transport in Candida albicans. Ph.D. Dissertation. University ofKent atCanterbury (1983).
- McCarthy, P.J., P.F. Troke and K. Gull. Mechanism of action of nikkomycin and the peptide transport system of Candida albicans. J. Gen. Microbiol., 131, 775-780 (1985).
- McCarthy, P.J., L.J. Nisbet, W.D. Kingsbury and J. Boehm. The multiplicity of peptide permeases in Candida albicans: Evidence from novel chromogenic peptides. J. Bacteriology, 161, 1024-1029, (1985).
- McCarthy, P.J., D.J. Newman, L.J. Nisbet and W.D. Kingsbury. Relative rates of transport of peptide drugs by Candida albicans. Antimicrob. Ag. Chemother. 28, 494-499, (1985).
- Wright, A.E., S. Pomponi, O.J. McConnell, S. Komoto and P. McCarthy. (+)-Curcuphenol, A cytotoxic metabolite with antifungal activity from the marine sponge Didiscus. J. Nat. Products 50, 976-978, (1987).
- Wright, A.E., McCarthy, P. and Schulte, G. Sulfircin, a new sesterpene sulfate from the sponge Ircinia sp. J. Org. Chem. 54, 3472-3474, (1989).
- Hirsch, S., Miroz, A., McCarthy, P., and Kashman, Y. Etzionin, a new antifungal metabolite from a Red Seatunicate. Tet. Letts. 30, 4291-4294, (1989).
- Gunasekera, S.P., Gunasekera, M., Gunawardana, G.P., McCarthy, P., and Burres, N. Two new bioactive cyclic peroxides from the marine sponge Plakortis angulospiculatus. J. Nat. Prod. 53, 669-674, (1990).
- Sun, H.H., S. Sakemi, N. Burres and P. McCarthy. Isobatzellines A, B, C and D. Cytotoxic and antifungal pyrroloquinoline alkaloids from the marine sponge Batzella sp. J. Org. Chem. 55, 4964-4966, (1990).
- Gunasekera, S.P., M. Gunasekera and P. McCarthy. Discodermide: A new bioactive macrocyclic lactam from the marine sponge Discodermia dissoluta. J. Org. Chem. 56, 4830-4833 (1991).
- Wright, A.E., S.A. Pomponi, S.S. Cross and P.J. McCarthy. A new bis-indole-alkaloid from a marine sponge of the genus Spongosorites. J. Org. Chem. 57, 4772-4775 (1992).
- McCarthy, P.J., T.P. Pitts, G.P. Gunawardana, M. Kelly-Borges and S.A.Pomponi. Antifungal activity of meridine, a natural product from the marine sponge Corticium sp. J. Nat. Prod. 55, 1664-1668 (1992).
- McCarthy, P.J. Antifungal Agents: recent research and patent activity. Current Opinion in Therapeutic Patents. 3, 367-373 (1993).
- Killday, B.K., R. Longley, P.J. McCarthy, S.A. Pomponi, A.E. Wright, R.E. Neale and M.A. Sills. Sesquiterpene derived metabolites from the deep water marine sponge Poecillastra sollasi. J. Nat. Prod. 56, 500-507 (1993).
- Gulavita, N.K., A.E. Wright, P.J. McCarthy, S.A. Pomponi, M. Kelly-Borges, M. Chin and M.A. Sills. Isolation and structure elucidation of 34-sulfato- bastadin-12, an antagonist of the endothelin receptor, from a sponge of the genus Ianthella. J.Nat. Prod. 56, 1613-1617 (1993).
- Gunasekera, S.P., S.A. Pomponi and P.J. McCarthy. Discobahamins A and B, new peptides from the Bahamian deep water sponge Discodermia sp. J. Nat. Prod. 57, 79-83 (1994).
- Wright, A. E. and P. J. McCarthy. Drugs from the sea at Harbor Branch. Sea Technology. 35(8), 10-19 (1994).
- Gunasekera, S.P., P.J. McCarthy, and M. Kelly-Borges. Hamacanthin A and B, new antifungal bis-indole alkaloids from the marine sponge Hamacantha sp. J. Nat. Prod. 57(10), 1437-1441 (1994).
- Gunasekera, L.S., A.E. Wright, S.P. Gunasekera, P.J. McCarthy and J. Reed. Antimicrobial constituent of the brown alga Sporochnus pedunculatus. Int. J. Pharmocognosy 33(3) 253-255 (1995).
- Gulavita, N.K., A.E. Wright, P.J. McCarthy, S.A. Pomponi and R.E. Longley. Cytotoxic peptides from marine sponges. J. Nat. Tox. 5(2) 225-234 (1996).
- Gunasekera, S.P., P.J. McCarthy, M. Kelly-Borges, E. Lobkovsky and J. Clardy. Dysidiolide: A novel protein phosphatase inhibitor from the Caribbeansponge Dysidea etheria de Laubenfels. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 118, 8759-8760 (1996).
- Pomponi, S.A., J.K. Reed, A.E. Wright, and P.J. McCarthy. Diversity and bioactivity of marine sponges of the Caribbean: the Turks and Caicos Islands. CaribbeanJournal of Agriculture and Natural Resources 1(1), 41-49 (1996).
- McCarthy, P.J., and A.E. Wright. Progress and future challenges in marine biotechnology. Sea Technology 38(1), 44-46 (1997).
- Fuoco, D.M., B. Tucker, R. Wood, N. Rauert, T. Miller, A. Wright, P. McCarthy, S. Pomponi and C. Selitrennikoff. Creating and developing an antifungal drug discovery program from the biotechnology perspective. SIM News 47(6), 280-285 (1997).
- Wood, R.L., T.K. Miller, A. Wright, P. McCarthy, C.S. Taft, S. Pomponi, and C.P. Selitrennikoff. Characterization and optimization of in vitro assay conditions for (1,3)b-glucan synthase activity from Aspergillus fumigatus and Candida albicans for enzyme inhibition screening. J. Antibiotics 51(7), 665-675 (1998).
- Reed, J.K., S.H. Sennett, P.J. McCarthy, T.A. Pitts, A.E. Wright, and S.A.Pomponi. Bioactivity of marine organisms: Relationships with taxonomy, geography and depth. Proceedings of the AmericanAcademyof Underwater Sciences 1998, 50-61 (1998).
- Gunasekera, S.P., P.J. McCarthy, R.E. Longley, S.A. Pomponi, A.E. Wright, E. Lobkovsky, and J. Clardy. Discorhabdin P, a new enzyme inhibitor from a deep water Caribbeansponge of the genus Batzella. J. Nat. Prod. 62(1), 173-175 (1999).
- Gunasekera, S.P., P.J. McCarthy, R.E. Longley, S.A. Pomponi and A.E. Wright. Secobatazellines A and B, two new enzyme inhibitors from a deep-water Caribbeansponge of the genus Batzella. J. Nat. Prod. 62(8), 1208-1211 (1999).
- Lopez, J.V., P.J. McCarthy, Kathleen E. Janda, R. Willoughby and S.A.Pomponi. Molecular techniques reveal wide phyletic diversity of heterotrophic microbes associated with Discodermia spp. (Porifera:Demospongia). Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 44 329-341 ISSN 0079-8835 (1999).
- Pomponi, S., A. Wright, J. Reed and P. McCarthy. Marine natural products: Drugs from the sea. pp 248-251 In McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science and Technology 2000 ISSN 0076-2016 (1999).
- Olson, J. B., C.C. Lord and P. McCarthy. Improved recoverability of microbial colonies from marine environmental samples. Microb. Ecol. 40(2) 139-147 (2000).
- Chen, Y, K.B. Killday, P.J. McCarthy, R. Schimoler, K. Chilson, C. Selitrennikoff, S.A. Pomponi and A.E. Wright. Three new peroxides from the sponge Plakinistrella sp. J. Nat. Prod. 64(2) 262-264 (2000).
- Olson, J. B., D. K. Harmody, and P. J. McCarthy. Alpha-proteobacteria cultivated from marine sponges display branching rod morphology. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 211(2) 169-173 (2002).
- Chen, Y., P.J. McCarthy, D.K. Harmody, R. Schimoler-O’Rourke, K. Chilson, C. Selitrennikoff, S.A. Pomponi and A.E. Wright. New bioactive peroxides from marine sponges of the family Plakiniidae. J. Nat. Prod. 65 1509-1512 (2002).
- Sennett, S.H., P.J. McCarthy, A.E. Wright and S.A.Pomponi. Natural products from marine invertebrates: The Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution experience. Pharmaceutical News. 9 483-488 (2002).
- Sandell, K.A., C.L. Peterson, D.K. Harmody, P.J. McCarthy, S.A. Pomponi, J.V. Lopez (2004). Molecular systematic survey of sponge-derived marine microbes. Boll Mus Ist Univ Genova 68:579–585
- Gunasekera, A.S., K.S. Sfanos, D.K. Harmody, S.A. Pomponi, P.J. McCarthy, J.V. Lopez. HBMMD: an enhanced database of the microorganisms associated with deeper water marine invertebrates. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 66 373-376 (2005).
- Sfanos, K.A., C.L. Peterson, D.K. Harmody, P.J. McCarthy, S.A. Pomponi and J.V. Lopez. A molecular systematic survey of sponge-derived marine microbes. Systematic Appl. Microbiol. 28:242-264 (2005).
- Olson J.B., and P.J. McCarthy. Associated bacterial communities of two deep-water sponges. Aquatic Microb. Ecol. 30:47-55 (2005).
- Park, Y.C., S.P. Gunasekera, J.V. Lopez, P.J. McCarthy, and A.E. Wright. Metabolites from the marine-derived fungus Chromocleista sp. isolated from the deep-water sediment sample collected in theGulf of Mexico. J. Nat. Prod. 69:580-584 (2006).
- Sennett, S.H. and P.J. McCarthy. Deep-water marine invertebrates: A source of Pharmaceuticals. Screening: Trends in Drug Discovery, 7(4):22-23 (2006). **This article was also published in BioForum Europe, October 2006:30-31**
- Duckworth A.R., W.M. Brück, K.E. Janda, T.P. Pitts and P.J. McCarthy. Retention efficiencies of the coral reef sponges Aplysina lacunosa, Callyspongia vaginalis and Niphates digitalis determined by Coulter counter and plate culture analysis. Marine Biology Research. 2:243-248 (2006).
- Olson, J.B., D.K. Harmody, A. Bej, and P.J. McCarthy. Tsukamurella spongiae sp. nov., a novel actinomycete isolated from a deep-water marine sponge. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 57(7):1478-1481 (2007).
- Wright, A.E., Cook Botelho, J., Guzmán, E., Harmody, D., Linley, P., McCarthy, P.J., Pitts, T.P, Pomponi, S.A, and Reed, J.K. Neopeltolide a new macrolide from a Lithistid sponge of the family Neopeltidae. J. Nat. Prod. 70(3):412-416 (2007)
- Bruck, T.B., W.M. Bruck, L.Z. Santiago-Vazquez, P.J. McCarthy and R.G. Kerr. Diversity of the bacterial communities associated with the azooanthellate deep water octocorals Leptogorgia minimata, Icillogorgia scrammii and Swiftia exertia. Marine Biotechnol. 9:561-576 (2007).
- Santiago-Vázquez, L.Z., T.B. Brück, W.M. Brück, A.P. Duque-Alarcón, P.J. McCarthy and R.G. Kerr. The diversity of the bacterial communities associated with the azooxanthellate hexacoral Cirrhipathes lutkeni. ISME Journal. 1:654-659 (2007).
- Bruck, W.M., S.H. Sennett, S.A. Pomponi, P. Willenz and P.J. McCarthy. Identification of the bacterial symbiont Entotheonella sp. in the mesohyl of the marine sponge Discodermia sp. ISME Journal. 2:335-339 (2008).
- Cassler, M., C.L. Peterson, A. Ledger, S.A. Pomponi, A.E. Wright, R. Winegar, P.J. McCarthy, and J.V. Lopez. Use of Real-Time qPCR to quantify members of the unculturable heterotrophic bacterial community in a deep sea marine sponge, Vetulina sp. Microbial Ecology. 55:384-394 (2008).
- Lopez, J.V., L. Ranzer, A. Ledger, B. Schoch, A. Duckworth, P.J. McCarthy and R. Kerr Comparison of Bacterial Diversity within the Coral Reef Sponge, Axinella corrugata, the Encrusting Coral Erythropodium caribaeorum. Proceedings of the 11th International Coral Reef Symposium, Ft Lauderdale,Florida, 7-11 July 2008.
- Wright, A.E., S.H. Sennett and P.J. McCarthy. Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution: Contributions to Pharmacognosy. pp 203-204 In “The American Society of Pharmacognosy: 50 years of progress in natural products research” G.M. Cragg, J.A. Beutler and W.P. Jones (Eds.) American Society for Pharmacognosy (2009).
- Wright, A.E., G.P.Roth, J.K.Hoffman, D.B. Divlianska, D. Pechter, S.H.Sennett, E.A.Guzmán, P.Linley, P.J.McCarthy, T.P.Pitts, S.A.Pomponi and J.K.Reed. Isolation, Synthesis andBiological activity of Aphrocallistin, an adenine substituted bromotyramine metabolite from the Hexactinellida Sponge Aphrocallistes Beatrix. J. Nat. Prod. 72(6):1178-1193 (2009).
- Lopez, J.V., B. Mouzon, R. Kerr, and P.J. McCarthy. The many faces of gene expression profiling: Transcriptome analyses applied towards elucidating marine organismal interactions and metabolism. In “Molecular Biotechnology” A. Varma and N. Verma (Eds.) I.K. International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India. (2009).
- Brück, W.M., Brück, T.B., Self, W.T., Reed, J.K., Nitecki, S.S., McCarthy, P.J. Comparison of the anaerobic microbiota of deep water Geodia sp. and sandy sediments in theFlorida straits. ISME Journal. 4:686-699 (2010).
- Wangun, H.V.K., Wood, A., Fiorella, C., Reed, J., McCarthy, P.J., and Wright, A.E.. Gymnochromes E and F: Cytotoxic Phenanthroperylenequinones from the Deep-water Crinoid Holopus rangii. J. Nat. Prod. 73:712-5 (2010).
- Hoffmann, M., Fischer, M., Ottesen, A., McCarthy, P.J., Lopez, J.V., Brown, E.W., and Monday, S.F. Population dynamics of Vibrio spp. associated with marine sponge microcosms. ISME Journal. 4:1608-1612 (2010).
- Peak, K.K., Duncan, K.E., Veguilla, W., Luna, V.A., King, D.S., McCarthy, P.J., and Cannons, A.C. Bacillus strains most closely-related to Bacillus nealsonii are not effectively circumscribed within the taxonomic species definition. International Journal of Microbiology. Article ID 673136, 13 pages (2011).
- Hoffmann, M., S.R. Monday, E.A. Strain, P. Whittaker, M. Naun, P.J. McCarthy, J.V. Lopez, M. Fischer, and E.W. Brown. Vibrio caribbeanicus sp. nov., isolated from the marine sponge Scleritoderma cyanea. IJSEM (published ahead of print September 19, 2011, doi:10.1099/ijs.0.032375-0).
- Bruck, W.M., J.K. Reed and P.J. McCarthy. The bacterial population of the Lithistid sponge Discodermia sp. as determined by cultivation and culture-independent methods. Marine Biotechnology (2012, In Press).
- Hoffmann, M., Monday, S., McCarthy, P., Lopez, J., Fisher, M., and Brown, E. Genetic and phylogenetic evidence for horizontal gene transfer among ecologically disparate groups of marine Vibrio. Cladistics (2012, In Press).
- Zhao, Y., P.J. McCarthy and C. Parkanyi. Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of bis-intercalators with varied linkers between aminochloropyrimidine rings. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry (2012, In Press).
- Zhao, Y., P.J. McCarthy and C. Parkanyi. Synthesis and In Vitro Evaluation of Novel Acyclic and Cyclic Nucleoside Analogs with a Thiadiazole Ring. Organic Chemistry International (Submitted).
U.S. Patents Awarded:
- Wright, A. E. and P. McCarthy. Sulfircin and derivatives thereof as therapeutic agents. U.S.Patent # 4,870,099,Sep 26,1989.
- Sun, H. H, S. Sakemi, S. Gunasekera, Y. Kashman, M. Lui, N. Burres and P. McCarthy. Bis-indole compounds which are useful antitumor and antimicrobial agents. U.S.Patent # 4,970,226,Nov 13, 1990.
- Gunasekera, S.P., M. Gunasekera and P.J. McCarthy. Novel bioactive discodermides and methods of use.U.S.Patent # 5,059,618,Oct 22, 1991.
- Gunawardana, G.P., P.J. McCarthy and N.S. Burres. Bioactive heterocycle alkaloids and methods of use. US Patent # 5,182,287,Jan 26, 1993.
- Gulavita, N.K., S.P. Gunasekera, S.A. Pomponi, R.E. Longley and P.J. McCarthy. Antibacterial peptide and methods of use. US Patent 5,336,757,Aug. 9, 1994.
- Gulavita, N.K., S.P. Gunasekera, S.A. Pomponi, R.E. Longley and P.J. McCarthy. Antibacterial peptide and methods of use. US Patent 5,516,755,May 14, 1996.
- Gunasekera, S.P., P.J. McCarthy, R.E. Longley, A.E. Wright andS.A.Pomponi. Discorhabdin compounds and methods of use.U.S.Patent 6,057,333,May 2, 2000.
- Gunasekera, S.P., P.J. McCarthy, R.E. Longley, S.A. Pomponi, and A.E. Wright. Aminoiminoquinone and aminoquinone alkaloid compounds and method of use.U.S.Patent 6,218,419,April 17, 2001.
- Chen, Y., K. Chilson, K.B. Killday, D. Harmody, P.J. McCarthy, S.A. Pomponi, R. Schimoler, C. Selitrennikoff, and A.E. Wright. Cyclic peroxides as novel antifungal agents. US Patent 6,521,551,Feb 18, 2003.
- Wright, A.E., S.A. Pomponi, P.J. McCarthy, Y. Chen, and R.E. Longley. Biologically active lasonolide compounds. US Patent 7,115,756 B2,Oct 3, 2006.
- Wright, A.E., S.A. Pomponi and P.J. McCarthy. Biologically active neopeltolide compounds. US Patent 7,179,828 B2, Feb 20, 2007.
- Wright, A.E., S.A. Pomponi, P.J.McCarthy, Y. Chen, R.E. Longley. Biologically active lasonolide compounds. US Patent 7,521,474, April 21, 2009.
- Wright, A.E., Sennett, S.H., Pomponi, S.A., McCarthy, P.J., Guzman, E.A. Biologically active aphrocallistin compounds.U.S.Patent 8,058,430, November 15, 2011.
Invited Speaker Presentations
- 1984 Medical Mycology Society of New York. Exploitation of Candida albicans peptide transport
- 2001 National Fisheries Institute Conference. Technical Innovation for Seafood Products and Processing. Orlando, FL. Opening lecturer
- 2004 World Ocean Forum, New York, NY.The Development of Marine Natural Products as Therapeutic Agents: Challenges and Future Prospects
- 2005 World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioprocessing. Orlando, FL. Marine Microorganisms in Drug Discovery
- 2005 Connecting the Gulf of Mexico and Human Health. Gulfport, MS. Marine Microorganisms in Drug Discovery
- 2009 Valdosta State University Biology Department, Valdosta, GA. Sponge-associated microbes: the population and their biotechnological potential
- 2012 Florida Tech, National Biological Society Tri Beta, Melbourne, FL. The Microbial Population of Marine Sponges: a Biotechnological Resource
1986: Florida Institute of Technology, Jensen Beach Campus. Medical Lab Technology Program. “Medical Mycology”
2004 - present: Florida Atlantic University at HBOI. BSC 4930 and BSC 6936 “Marine Microbiology and Molecular Biology”. Senior undergraduate and graduate level 4 credit course. Course offered on an annual basis.
2009: Florida Atlantic University at HBOI. “Marine Microbiology”. Senior undergraduate and graduate level 3 credit course.
High School classes: Two lectures developed for use with High School students. “An Ocean of Microbes: Microbial Infuences on Planetary and Human Health” and “Marine Microbes: a New Resource for Biotechnology”
Lecture developed for Envirovet, an annual course taught for Veterinary Students: “Biomedical Marine Research: The Discovery and Development of Marine-Derived Drugs”
Grant Review Panels
- NOAA-Ocean Exploration. Silver Spring MD, November 2004
- Illinois Sea Grant. Champaign IL, July 2005
- NIUST, Microbial Observatory, Oxford MS, July 2005
- European Commission, KBBE FP7, April 2008
European Commission, KBBE FP7, April 2010
European Commission, KBBE FP7, March 2011
European Commission, KBBE FP7, January 2012
External Review Panels
National Institute for Undersea Science and Technology (NIUST), external review panel for NURP. Oxford, MS. September, 2006
NCI-CM-67983: NCI Small Business Innovative Research Contract Phase I. "Detection of Antitumor Agents from Marine Microorganisms" 9/86-3/87. Principal Investigator. ($50,000)
1-R41 AI40715-01: NIAID Small Business Technology Transfer Program Phase I. “Screening of marine organisms for antifungal activity” 10/96-9/97. Co-PI with Claude Selitrennikoff, MycoTox Inc., Denver, CO. ($100,000, $50,000 to HBOI)
R/LR-MB-7 (SI-98-29): Florida Sea Grant. “Marine Natural Products Discovery Program: Cellular Localization and Production of Bioactive Discodermia Metabolites” 2/98-1/00. Co-PI with Susan Sennett, HBOI. ($120,000)
2-R42AI40715-02: NIAID Small Business Technology Transfer Program Phase II. “Screening of marine organisms for antifungal activity” 9/98-8/01 Claude Selitrennikoff (PI), MycoTox Inc., Denver, CO. Co-Investigators P. McCarthy, A. Wright, D. A. Stevens, K.V. Clemons. ($450,360, $199,999 to Co-Investigators at HBOI)
1R21GM58147-01: NIH “Cell Culture for Bioactive Marine Natural Products” 9/98-8/00 Susan Sennett (PI), HBOI. Co-Investigator, Microbiology Project Manager ($74,808)
PO1 CA83155-01 Consortium Group #1: NCI “Combinatorial Creation of New Anticancer Agents” Sherman, U. ofMinnesota (PI), 9/99 - 2/04 $ 95,943 (Annual Direct). Co-Investigator, Project 1
PO1 CA83155-01 Core A: NCI “Combinatorial Creation of New Anticancer Agents” Sherman, U. ofMinnesota (PI), 9/99 - 2/04 $ 107,779 (Annual Direct). Principal-Investigator, Core A
NA76RG-0120:NOAASeaGrantCollege Program “Methods to Increase Microbial Recovery from Deep Water Samples” Julie Olson (PI) 10/99 - 9/01 $149,720. Co-Investigator.
974984: NSF “Molecular Evolution and Adaptation of Microbial Polyketide Biosynthetic Sequences” Jose Lopez (PI) 9/99 – 8/01 $81,792. Consultant.
DEB-0103668: NSF “Taxonomic Inventory of Marine Invertebrate Associated Microbes from the Microbial Culture Collection of Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution”. Jose Lopez (PI) 9/01-8/04 $208,756. Co-Principal Investigator.
Florida Oceans Initiative “Discovery of novel antibiotic substances from marine-derived microorganisms”. 7/1/04-12/31/07, $200,000 per annum. Principal Investigator.
SI-08-25: Florida Sea Grant “Development of a Sustainable Biological Production Method for the Potent Cytotoxic Agent Leiodermatolide” 3/1/08 – 2/28/10. $159,928. Principal Investigator.
1RC2AT005917: NIH, NCCAM “Creation of a Marine Natural Products Library to Enhance Life Science Research” 9/30/2009-9/29/2011. Total costs: $1,395,199. Co-Investigator.
NSU subcontract “Baseline and Oil Spill Impacted Marine Sponge Microbial Communities and Gene Expression Analysis with Metagenomics” Univ of S. Florida - Florida Institute of Oceanography. 8/2010 - 8/2012. Total Costs $17,000. Principal Investigator.
HBOI Internal Grants Program (FAU Foundation) “A Collaborative Study of Bacterial Contamination of the Indian River Lagoon”. 7/1/2011 – 6/30/2012. Total Costs $80,000. Principal Investigator.
HBOI Internal Grants Program (FAU Foundation) “Methods for the analysis and cultivation of Lacazia loboi”. 7/1/2011 – 6/30/2012. Total Costs $36,394. Co-Principal Investigator.
1R21AI100289-01: NIH, NIAID “Novel antimalarials from marine microbial natural products” 02/15/2012-01/31/2014. Co-Principal Investigator.
Professional Societies (Current Memberships)
1981 Society for General Microbiology
1983 American Society for Microbiology
1992 Society for Industrial Microbiology
1997 Florida Branch, American Society for Microbiology
2005 Sigma Xi
2006 International Society for Microbial Ecology
1999-2001 President Elect, Florida Branch of the American Society for Microbiology
2001-2003 President, Florida Branch of the American Society for Microbiology
2003-2007 ASM National Councilor
Affiliate Faculty and Advisory Positions
Department of Chemistry, Florida Atlantic University
Department of Biology, Florida Atlantic University
Scientific Advisory Board, PiPets, LLC
Graduate Student Committees
Steven Jett, Ph.D candidate, Florida Atlantic University (Degree awarded 2007)
Nealie Newberger, Ph.D, Florida Atlantic University (Degree awarded 2006)
Priscilla Winder, Ph.D. Florida Atlantic University (Degree awarded 2009)
Christie Gonzalez, M.Sc. Florida Atlantic University
1992-1994 Stefan Vasile, Ph.D.
1999-2002 Julie Olson, Ph.D.
2003-2006 Wolfram Bruck, Ph.D.
2008-2010 Jennifer Choate, Ph.D.