Applying for Admission
The Graduate College processes all applications for graduate studies at FAU through an online application. In addition to your online application, many of FAU's graduate degree programs require additional materials such as supplemental applications, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.
It may be helpful to print these instructions to assist you during the application process.
If you have any questions after reviewing the instructions, you may send an email to GraduateCollege@fau.edu.
1. Identify the Graduate Degree Program to which you are applying. Most graduate programs have admission requirements in addition to those required by the Graduate College. Supplemental application information and forms are available here .
Note: International students must meet the same academic requirements as domestic students for the graduate degree program (s) to which they are applying.
2. Determine your desired term of entry based on Degree Program Application Deadlines for International Students.
- As a reminder, applications for admission will not be processed more than one year in advance of the program's application deadline date.
- Applications submitted after the degree program deadline date will be processed for the next available semester.
3. Assemble the information needed for the online portion of the application. Access to the following will expedite completion of the online application:
- Dates of attendance at previous colleges/ universities.
- Valid credit card for the non-refundable $30 application fee payable in U.S. dollars.
Note: Applicants may also mail the application fee to the Graduate College. The check or money order must be in U.S. dollars from a financial institution with a branch in the U.S.
- Official Test Scores from the GRE or GMAT/EXADEP:
- FAU's school code for the GRE is 5229
- FAU's school code for the GMAT is 9LX
- FAU's school code for the EXADEP is 5229
- Current email address (this will be used by the Graduate College to contact you while your application is being processed by FAU)
- Conduct: If you answer "yes" to the following question, you will need to provide information regarding the violation(s), dates of the violation(s) and penalties imposed.
- Have you ever been charged with a violation of the law, misdemeanor and/or felony (even if adjudication was withheld) which resulted in, or, if still pending could result in, probation, community service, restitution, a jail sentence or the revocation or suspension of your driver's license (you are not required to include traffic violations which only resulted in a fine)?
- Are you currently, or have you ever been, charged with or subject to disciplinary action for scholastic (such as plagiarism or cheating) or any other type of behavioral misconduct at any educational institution? You do not need to disclose academic dismissal, suspension, or probation for poor grades.
4. Assemble the information needed for the remainder of the application: Evidence of English proficiency. International students from non-English speaking countries must furnish evidence of proficiency in English from: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The minimum university requirement for TOEFL is 500 (Paper-Based Test) and 61 (Internet Based Test). The minimum university requirement for IELTS is a band score of 6.0.
Note: Applicants are responsible for making arrangements to schedule the test(s). Students who have completed a minimum of two years of post-secondary education in the United States are exempt from this requirement.
Official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended in or out of the United States mailed directly to FAU from the applicant or issuing institution.
- Official transcripts stamped and signed by an institutional authority must be received by FAU in a sealed envelope bearing the institutions name and address.
- If original documents cannot be submitted official copies may be submitted if they are stamped, signed and attested by an institutional authority.
- If the applicant has not completed their degree at time of application a partial transcript may be submitted. The final transcript must be submitted after the applicant has completed their degree by the mid-term of the applicant’s initial semester at FAU.
- A legible photocopy of a degree or graduation certificate mailed directly to FAU from the applicant or issuing institution.
- A diploma or graduation certificate is only required if the degree confirmation date is not officially posted on the transcript.
- A certified literal (word-for-word) English translation must accompany all academic documents if the original language is not English.
- Translations must be completed by a certified translator in the area of education.
- Official translations must be received by FAU in a sealed, unopened envelope bearing the name and address of the issuing authority.
- If the applicant’s college or university does not provide academic documents in English, we suggest the applicant contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate or local EducationUSA Advising Center and inquire if English translations are provided.
Application fees, test scores, and official transcripts should be sent to:
Florida Atlantic University
SU-80, Room 101
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
NOTE: Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
Florida Atlantic University evaluates foreign credentials internally. However, the applicant may choose to use an outside evaluation agency that is a member of NACES. If a NACES member agency is used, the applicant must submit official academic documents and request a course by course evaluation with a calculated grade point average (GPA). A list of NACES member agencies may be found here: www.naces.org/members.htm.
If the applicant is missing any documentation, or other required information, an FAU evaluator will contact the applicant by e-mail to request additional documentation or information. At this time the evaluation process will be placed on hold until FAU receives all necessary documentation. Applicants are advised to submit all required documentation as early as possible to avoid delaying the admissions process.
Please note that evaluations of all foreign credentials completed by an FAU staff member may only be used for FAU admission purposes.
Click here for additional information for Bologna Process members and other 3-year bachelor's degrees.
Florida Atlantic University reserves the right to require an evaluation of any academic document by a NACES member agency.
Click here for additional information by college regarding transcript/credential evaluation.
- Letters of Recommendation : Check the following link to access the letter of recommendation form. Speak with your program to determine if the degree program to which you are applying requires a letter of recommendation. Note: sealed letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the degree program to which you are applying.
- Completed health form from Health Services
- Financial Certification Form I-20 information (submit this form to the ISSS office)
- SEVIS Transfer Form : This form is used by international students with an F or J visa status who are currently attending a U.S. educational institution. (submit this form to the ISSS office)
- Copy of passport’s biographical and visa page, if applicable (submit to the ISSS office)
5. Follow the steps below to begin your online application:
- Go to https://owlapp.fau.edu
- Click "New User" to create your login account
- Log in by completing "New User" form or entering email/password and clicking "Login"
- Complete the online Graduate Application
Important Note: The Graduate College does not award assistantships or financial aid, nor does the Graduate College notify students of such awards in their decision notification letters. Please contact your college for information on assistantships, or the Financial Aid Office for information regarding federal financial aid (if eligible).
Note: The application may take 15 – 20 minutes to complete if the all the information listed above in item #3 is gathered prior to beginning; in addition the application does not have to be completed in one sitting.
All materials submitted in support of your application become the property of Florida Atlantic University. The Graduate College cannot return materials or copies to applicants.
The completion and submission of your online graduate application with your electronic signature is accepted as a legal signature, recognized by Florida statutes.
Pre- arrival Information
SITA and FAQs
Letters of Recommendation
SEVIS Transfer Form
Financial Certification form
Residency Instructions and FAQs
International Student and Scholar Services