Standards of Excellence
Each year Fraternity & Sorority Life conducts the Standards of Excellence process. This process is set up to recognize and award those chapters that are operating at high level and exceeding expectations as well as providing an opportunity for a chapter to be reflective on the past year.
There are eight core areas of excellence that are awarded, as well as individual award opportunities.
October 1, 2014: 2015 Standards of Excellence Application Guidelines distributed to chapter presidents
December 1, 2014: Sign-ups for Chapter Excellence Award presentations and Individual Award interviews begin in the Fraternity & Sorority Life Office
January 5 - 9, 2015: Standards of Excellence Office Hours: Chapters can stop by Fraternity and Sorority Life to inquire about their nomination packet, submission, etc. and ensure correct procedure was followed
January 14, 2015 (11:59 p.m.): Standards of Excellence nominations and submissions due, submitted through OwlCentral
January 16, 2015 (5:00 p.m.): Deadline to sign up for Chapter Excellence Award presentations and Individual Award interviews in the Fraternity & Sorority Life Office
January 19 - 30, 2015: Chapter Excellence Award presentations and Individual Award interviews
February 9 - 13, 2015: Chapter feedback
February 25, 2015: Standards of Excellence Banquet
You will be required to select a time and date for all presentations by January 16, 2015. The sign up list for Chapter Award and Individual Award presentations is located at the front desk in Student Involvement Office from December 1, 2014 - January 16, 2015. Please plan to send an officer to sign up during that time frame. More details are below.
· Applications turned in after 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, January 14, 2015
· Applications not adhering to ALL eligibility and submission guidelines
· Applications with false or misleading information (this action may also result in judicial charges)
· You will be asked to create a presentation of 45 minutes that demonstrates your chapter’s performance in each of the eight core Chapter Excellence areas. When creating the presentation, chapter representatives should address not only how their chapter has met the objective of that category, but also how effective they were in doing so. You should NOT list basic answers to the questions below, rather, explain more in-depth how the activity, event or program met the criterion for that category. Emphasize how chapter members are impacted by, participate in, and live these aspects within the chapter. You should seek to answer the questions, how, what, and why. Up to five and no less than three active chapter members must be present for the presentation.
· There will be two separate submission forms through OwlCentral (the links will be available under Campus Links once logged into Owl Central). One for the Chapter awards and one for the Individual awards. For each one please submit as a PDF document, double spaced in 12 pt. font. Both PDF documents must include all categories your chapter wants to be judged upon. Each category must be on its own page, so categories are easily organized.
· Judges for Standards of Excellence will be FAU faculty and staff chosen by Fraternity and Sorority Life staff members
· Fraternity and Sorority Life Staff members are NOT eligible to write letters of recommendation for any awards
· Each packet will be reviewed and scored by at least three judges. Their scores will be averaged to achieve the official chapter score
· Fraternity and Sorority Life Staff will judge and review packets for the Fraternity and Sorority Hall of Fame category
The eight core areas to be awarded for chapter standards of excellence are:
· Academic Excellence
· Leadership Excellence
· Member Education Excellence
· Fraternity and Sorority Relations Excellence
· Community Service Excellence
· Philanthropic Excellence
· Living Your Ritual Excellence
· Brotherhood/Sisterhood Excellence
You can access the 2015 Standards of Excellence Application Guidelines HERE! For further questions regarding the Standards of Excellence packet contact Elaine Jahnsen at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Standards of Excellence Ceremony will take place Wednesday, February 25, 2015. Chapters will be sent information to RSVP a specific amount of members.