Gateway Summer Program
Open the Door to your Education
|WHAT IS THE GATEWAY PROGRAM?|
|The Gateway Summer Program is designed to prepare you for the demands of your first year in college. As a Gateway student, you will have an opportunity to get a head start on your academic career in a supportive and mentoring environment. In the Gateway Program, you will be a part of a community of learners who have in common the desire to be successful college students. It begins on June 21 with a required orientation session that provides you and your parents with an opportunity to tour the campus and learn more about the Gateway Program and the college experience at Florida Atlantic University.|
|COURSES OFFERED IN THE GATEWAY SUMMER PROGRAM|
Gateway students enroll in an English class and
Learning Strategies and Human Development.*
Concentrates on the development of your writing skills and techniques including grammar, punctuation and mechanics. Skills developed and refined in this class will be applicable to any course you take in which writing is required. (3 credits) A minimum grade of 2.0 is required in this class in order to continue into the fall semester.
LEARNING STRATEGIES and HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
|IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION|
* If you receive financial aid for the summer session you will be required to register for at least 6 credits. Therefore, you may be required to add a third course to your schedule as the Gateway Program totals 5 credits.
Please keep in mind that if you are NOT receiving financial aid you do not need to add a third course. In our experience, two classes will be enough to keep you busy during the six week term. However, if you do need to add a course, advisors will be available at Orientation to assist you with your selection.
Some of the pluses of being a Gateway student include:
- An excellent opportunity to improve the essential writing skills you will need in your first year and throughout your academic and professional life.
- Smaller class sizes than during the regular academic year.
- A university setting which allows you to learn the campus and meet with fellow students before the Fall semester rush.
- An opportunity for you to earn credit hours toward your graduation and summer school hours.
- Learning strategies / techniques that prepare you to meet the challenge of college-level classes.
June 24 - August 6, 2013
Florida Atlantic University,
Boca Raton Campus
Introduction to College Writing (ENC 1130) and Learning Strategies and Human Development (SLS 1503)
Tuition per credit hour:
Florida residents = $199.54*
Non-Florida residents = $718.09*
Books, supplies, and housing
*Tuition as of September 2012
For summer housing information, call (561) 297 - 2880 and identify yourself as a Gateway Student. Request applications for both summer and fall if required.
FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION:
Complete the 2012/2013 FAFSA.
Please allow eight weeks for information and processing.
|For Gateway Admission information contact:||For general program information contact:|
|Office of Admissions||Elizabeth Kennedy|
|561-297-3040||Interm Director / Gateway Coordinator|