Honors College: Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What type of aid may I receive if I am an international student? 

A : The Wilkes Honors College may offer out-of-state tuition waivers to students from out of state or international students. For information on these waivers see http://www.fau.edu/divdept/honcol/forms/HCpolicyonwaivers.pdf.  You may also qualify for scholarships outside of the Honors College. For web links go to: http://www.fau.edu/finaid/finaid_ and select “Scholarships”.  You may also qualify for the alternative loan program; see http://www.fau.edu/finaid/loans/altloan.php . You may apply for on-campus student employment (restrictions apply).  Once you arrive, visit the Financial Aid office on your campus for assistance. 

PLEASE NOTE:  International students should not complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  They are not eligible for federal/state/institutional grants and loans.

Q: Do I qualify for any form of financial aid/scholarships if I am considered to be an early admit (dual enrolled earning high school and college credit) at the Honors College?”

A : You will qualify for the Honors College scholarship.  You should work closely with your high school counselor to see if you qualify for the Florida Bright Futures scholarship. The final decision lies with the State programs office:888-827-2044 or http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/home/uamain.htm.  You/your parents may qualify for the alternative loan program. See: http://www.fau.edu/finaid/finaid_altloan.htm.  You may apply for on-campus student employment.  Once you arrive, visit the Financial Aid office on your campus for assistance.

PLEASE NOTE:   Freshman students who are deemed early admit (dual enrolled) should not complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (fafsa).  They are not eligible for federal/state/institutional grants and loans at this time.

Q:  How do I apply for an out of state fee waiver?

A : The out-of-state tuition waiver program has limited funding and students must meet specific criteria for consideration. The Honors College determines who will receive an out-of-state tuition waiver.   For selection criteria, please visit: http://www.fau.edu/divdept/honcol/HCpolicyonwaivers.pdf.

Q: What happens to my Honors College scholarship if I drop below 12 credit hours during the fall semester?

A To receive their Honors College scholarship, students must be enrolled in an average of 12 credit hours in the Honors College each semester (fall and spring).  

Q:  Do I have to accept my Honors College Scholarship award every year?

A : Yes, students are required to accept this scholarship and any financial aid each year. For instructions on how to accept this award, go to: http://www.fau.edu/finaid/finaid_accept.htm

Q:  If I earn good grades can my Honors College scholarship be increased?

A : The initial scholarship offer is based on academic history and expected performance. Unfortunately the Honors College cannot increase your award if you earn good grades in college, though if your academic performance is below the renewal criteria, the award may be reduced.

Q:  Does my IB diploma automatically entitle me to certain Honors College scholarships?

A : Students who complete the IB program will automatically be considered for an IB scholarship.

Q:  Do I have to register for 12 credit hours to keep my Honors College scholarship while I am on an internship or study abroad program?

A : The Honors College scholarship is offered only during fall and spring semesters and will not cover summer study abroad or internships, although there are a limited number of $500 scholarships specifically to offset the costs of study abroad (See http://www.fau.edu/divdept/honcol/financial_studyabroad_grant.htm ). You will receive your Honors College scholarship during fall or spring if you sign up for Honors College credit for your study abroad or internship. However, students who enter a non-FAU study abroad program may find it more advantageous to forego their Honors College scholarship and not pay tuition for FAU credit since they will be paying tuition to the non-FAU program. For more information about your options, see http://www.fau.edu/divdept/honcol/academics_studyabroad_policy .

Q: As an in-coming freshman, may I receive an admissions scholarship from both the Honors College and FAU admissions?

A : No, a student may receive only one admissions based scholarship from the institution (This would include all freshman admissions scholarships listed at  http://www.fau.edu/admissions/.)  However, students may apply and be considered for all other institutional scholarships for which they meet the criteria, see http://www.fau.edu/finaid/finaid_general.htm.

Q:  Will my Honors College award be increased if I am chosen as a “named scholar?”

A Named scholars do not receive additional dollars.  Students selected as “named scholars” receive special recognition and are given the privilege of meeting the donor who supplied the funds for the student’s Honors College scholarship.

Q:  Do I have to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for the Honors College scholarship?

A : The Honors College scholarship does not require the student to file a FAFSA.  Some scholarship programs DO have this requirement. We strongly recommend submitting the FAFSA as it maximizes your possibilities for support.  File the FAFSA by March 1st of each year for FAU priority consideration.

Q:  Is it possible to be awarded too much scholarship money?

A : Scholarships are viewed as a resource. It is very rare that a student receives too much scholarship support. Please contact Stacey Edens, the Honors College financial aid coordinator, to review specific concerns.  Her phone number is 561-799-8509 and her e-mail is sedens@fau.edu.

Q:  May I use extra money from one semester for an upcoming semester?

A : Yes, a student may use the aid refund they receive from one term for expenses associated with an upcoming term. 

Q:  Does the Honors College offer minority scholarships?

A : For specific Honors College scholarships please see: http://www.fau.edu/divdept/honcol/financial.html.  For more scholarship information see: http://www.fau.edu/finaid/finaid_general.htm

Q: Does the Flagler Scholarship pay for books?

A : Flagler scholars receive  $150 in the fall to cover some incidental expenses, but books per se are not covered. More information on the Flagler scholarship is online at http://www.fau.edu/divdept/honcol/forms/Flagler_Information.pdf

Q:  How do I get money for books?

A : Disbursement of aid is a function of the Controller’s office. The scholarship and financial aid fund disbursement process takes several weeks.   It is essential that you set aside personal funds to cover expenses incurred during the first few weeks of class. For students who do not have sufficient monetary resources, FAU offers the “Short Term Advance” - a University monetary advance to all students - ONLY if they meet all eligibility criteria. The Short Term Advance Application is located on MyFAU - Click on the Money Matters! tab and the application is located under the Financial Aid Online Applications channel.

Q:  How do I find how much I owe the school? How do I track my balances?

A : The Controller’s office handles all student account transactions.  To check on the status of your account, please log on to MyFAU and click on FAU Self-Service link.

PLEASE NOTE: Students receive their account statements via their FAU  E-mail address only.

Q:  If my scholarship is reduced due to poor performance, how do I get it reinstated?

A : If a student’s scholarship is reduced due to poor academic performance (usually a 25% reduction but in some cases a 50% reduction), it will not be increased later.

Q:  Does the Honors College provide a scholarship during the summer?

A : No.  If a student has filed a FAFSA, they may apply for summer financial aid by going to submitting a Summer Financial Aid Application, beginning the first BUSINESS day in February. Log on to MyFAU and Click on the Money Matters! tab.  The application is located under the Financial Aid Online Applications link.

 Last Modified 9/7/16