Doing Our Part
FAU's Approach to Sustainability
FAU is taking a multi-faceted approach toward creating a more sustainable university. From campus-wide recycling efforts at our seven campuses to constructing cutting-edge, sustainable buildings, all aspects of the University are being impacted by the Mission Green initiative.Solar panels and "green bikes" are just a couple of the latest additions to the sustainability effort.
Headed by Dr. Jaap Vos, associate professor in the School of Urban and Regional Planning, the Fort Lauderdale campus is in the process of implementing one of the most exciting sustainability projects of FAU, a solar panel initiative that will produce 50,000 watts of energy.
The project, which is funded by FAU, Florida Power and Light, the State of Florida and a private donor, will involve the work of students, benefiting the University and the environment by:
- Reducing our current energy demand at the facility by 20 to 25%
- Avoiding the release of 70,000 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere
- Saving 4,000 gallons of oil
- Preserving more than 4,200 trees
- Providing a pilot for other buildings in downtown Fort Lauderdale
- Showing the world that FAU students can make a positive difference