FAU to Test Emergency Alert System on
Thursday, Sept. 26
All components of the FAU Alert system, including email, text messaging, telephone call-out messages, the indoor notification system for Glades Park/Heritage Park towers and the outdoor warning sirens on the Boca Raton, Harbor Branch and Jupiter campuses, will be tested on Thursday, Sept. 26, beginning at 1:50 p.m.
It is essential that all active faculty (including adjuncts), staff and students update their telephone contact information every semester. Please do so now by logging into MyFAU at myfau.fau.edu, clicking successively on "FAU Self-Service (OWLS)," "Personal Information," "Update FAU Alert Telephone Numbers" and following the instructions.
Be aware that only currently enrolled students and active faculty and staff will receive the test email, text and telephone call-out message.
IMPORTANT: Faculty and staff members should give their own individual extensions rather than the main office number. The only exception is for secretaries and receptionists who routinely answer the main number. Using your own extension will prevent multiple calls from going to the main number.
During the test, please note:
- For text message alerts to your phone, you will see "Code = 630-79 or 231-77" as the sender of the incoming alert message. Please save this number and program it as FAU so that you can quickly recognize this number as the official source of FAU’s messages.
- For voice alerts, the caller ID will show 888-832-8695. When you answer the call and say "Hello," you will hear the recorded message. As above, add this number to your contacts under "FAU" as well.
- Email alerts will now come from firstname.lastname@example.org. As above, add this address to your contacts under “FAU” as well.
- When the outdoor warning sirens are activated on the Boca Raton, Harbor Branch and Jupiter campuses, a loud siren sound and a spoken message will be heard across each campus, as well as in nearby neighborhoods and business areas.
- All layers of the FAU Alert system will be tested; however, in an actual emergency, depending on the situation, the appropriate systems will be used, i.e., email, text messaging, web announcements and siren/PA alerts.
For additional details on the components that make up FAU Alert, including the sound that the siren makes, please visit www.fau.edu/facilities/ehs/info/FAU-Alert-System.php.
Thank you for your cooperation as these important security steps are taken to help ensure the safety of everyone on our campuses.