Dr. Cristobal Salinas Jr.
Cristobal Salinas Jr., Ph.D., is an assistant professor in the Educational Leadership and Research Methodology Department at Florida Atlantic University. His research promotes access and equality in higher education and explores the social and political context of education opportunities for historically marginalized communities. His research reflects the lived experiences of, and is in partnership with, historically marginalized communities that are oppressed at the institutional, cultural, and individual level. At the institutional level he studies community colleges and its communities of people; at the cultural level he explores fraternities and sororities and the power of language; and at the individual level he focuses on the experiences of men of color in educational settings. Dr. Salinas is the Founder Editor for the Journal Committed to Social Change on Race and Ethnicity, and Social Media Editor for the Community College Journal of Research and Practice . In his four years as professor, he has published 15 peer-review articles, edited 3 books, over 16 book chapters, among other creative scholarship. Dr. Salinas has received over 25 international and national awards for his commitment to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ph.D. Education (Educational Leadership & Policy Studies), Iowa State University
- M.Ed. Student Affairs and Higher Education, Iowa State University
- BAE. Spanish Education, English as a Second Language, Dance, University of Nebraska – Kearney
- Salinas, C. (in press). The complexity of the “x” in Latinx: How Latinx/a/o students relate to, identify with, and understand the term Latinx. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 1-22.
- Salinas, C., Riley, P., Floyd, D, & Camacho, L. (in press). Mentoring experiences and perceptions of Latino male faculty in higher education. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 1-30.
- Sembiante, S., Salinas, C., Ramirez, A., Silva, Y. & Vasquez, M. (in press). Experiences, Reflections, and Perspectives of Faculty Members with Foreign English Accents in Higher Education. Meridians: Feminism, race, transnationalism Journal, 1-34.
- Salinas, C., Malavé, R., Torrens, O. D., & Swingle, E. (2019). “It is who we are. We are undocumented”: The narrative of undocumented Latino male students in a community college. Community College Review, 47(3), 295-317. DOI:10.177/0091552119850888
- Miller, A. & Salinas, C. (2019). A document analysis of student conduct offices in Florida’s community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2019.1600606
- Floyd, D. L, Salinas, C., & Ramdin, G. (2019). Publishing graduate students’ research about community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 43(10-11), 661-671. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2019.1605945
- Salinas, C., Elliott, K., Allen, K., McEwan, D., King, C. & Boldon, C. (2018). The role of spirituality for Black male community colleges students. Community College of Research and Practice, 42(7-8), 504-518. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2018.1429961
- Salinas, C., & Hidrowoh, J. (2018). Promoting financial literacy and Latino males’ success at community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 42(5), 330-339. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2017.1301276
- Salinas, C., Boettcher M., & Plagman-Galvin, J. (2018). A document analysis of anti-hazing policy. Oracle: The Research Journal of the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors, 13(1), 32-50. https://bit.ly/2LZkASm
- Salinas, C. (2018). A case study for a new peer-review Journal on Race and Ethnicity in American Higher Education. Publications, 6(26), 1-12. http://www.mdpi.com/2304-6775/6/2/26
- Salinas, C., & Lozano, A. S. (2017). Mapping and recontextualizing the evolution of the term Latinx; An environmental scanning in higher education. Journal of Latino and Education, 1-14. Online advance copy. https://doi.org/10.1080/15348431.2017.1390464
- Torrens, O. D., Salinas, C., & Floyd, D. L. (2017). Examining the value of mentorship and men of color staff members of a community college. Mentorship & Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 25(5), 509-527. https://doi.org/10.1080/13611267.2017.1415830
- Salinas, C. (2017). Transforming academia and theorizing spaces for Latinx in higher education: Voces perdidas, Voces de poder. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 30(8), 746-758. https://doi.org/10.1080/09518398.2017.1350295
- Bader, D., Salinas, C., Maslin-Ostrowski, P. (2016). Using the wisdom development theory to conceptualize student professionalism development in community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 41(4-5), 329-332. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2016.1251356
- Salinas, C., & Friedel, J. N. (2016). Challenges and opportunities for community colleges state systems. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 40(6), 968-971. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2016.1142484
- Beatty, C., & Salinas, C. (2016). Providing spaces on college campuses and through social media for men of color to offer counterstories. Developments, 13(4), 6-12. https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/leadership_pubs/2/
Books and Volumes
- Floyd, D. L., Salinas, C., Swingle, E., Zeledón-Pérez, M. J., Barhoum, S., & Ramdin, G. (Eds.). (in press). Graduate students’ research about community colleges: A guide for publishing. New York; Routledge.
- Gillon, K. E., Beatty, C., & Salinas, C. (2019). Critical consideration of race, ethnicity, and culture in fraternity and sorority life. San Francisco, CA; Jossey-Bass.
- Salinas, C. & Boettcher, M. (Eds.). (2018). Critical perspective on hazing in colleges and universities: A guide to disrupting the hazing culture. New York; Routledge.
- Friedel, J. N.^, Salinas, C., Thornton, Z. M. (Eds.). (2015). Iowa’s community colleges: A collective history of 50 years of accomplishment. Ames, IA; Iowa State University.
|2019||Equity & Social Justice Scholar Award, National Conference on Race and Ethnicity|
|2019||Florida Atlantic University Scholar of the Year|
|2019||Faculty Vice President’s Diamond Award, Division of Student Affairs|
|2018||Faculty/Staff Impact Award, Division of Student Affairs|
|2018||Faculty Fellow, American Association of Hispanics Higher Education|
|2017||Outstanding Social Justice Collaboration Award, ACPA|
|2017||Iowa State University Young Professional Award, College of Human Sciences & ISU Alumni Association|
|2017||Schuyler Central High School Distinguished Alumni Award|
|2016/2017||Emerging Faculty Leader Academy, NASPA|
|2015||Iowa State University Research Excellence Award|
|2015/2012||Iowa State University Teaching Excellence Award|
|2015||Iowa STATEment Maker Award, ISU Alumni Association|
|2015||Emerging Research Award, ACPA|
Dr. Cristobal Salinas
Assistant Professor, Educational Leadership and Research Methodology
Department of Educational Leadership and Research Methodology
Office Phone: 561-297-3550
Office Location: ED 47 - 242