Department of Teaching and Learning
Secondary Teacher Education Degree Programs
Secondary Teacher Education degree programs are offered in partnership with the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters and the Charles E. Schmidt College of Science. These programs are Florida Department of Education (DOE) and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) approved. This state and NCATE approval represents the transferability of teaching credentials from state-to-state. Secondary programs currently approved include the following subject area and grade levels:
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in English Education (6-12) with ESOL Endorsement
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mathematics Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Science Education (Biology, 6-12)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Science Education (Chemistry, 6-12)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Science Education (Physics, 6-12)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Social Science Education 6-12
The following certification programs are also offered in partnership with the colleges of Arts and Letters and Science. To qualify for Florida state and NCATE certification approval, all education requirements must be met.
- Secondary Certification Program for Art (K-12) B.F.A. and B.A. Studio Art Awarded by the D.F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
- Secondary Certification (K-12) Program B.A. French Awarded by the D.F. Schmidt College of Arts & Letters
- Secondary Certification (K-12) Program B.A. Spanish Awarded by the D.F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters
Secondary Teacher Education Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Formal application to the program.
- Enrollment in an approved baccalaureate or a degree in an approved area.
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale on the general education component of undergraduate studies, OR completion of requirements for a baccalaureate degree with a minimum GPA of 2.5 from any college or university accredited by a regional accrediting institution.
- Passing scores on all sections of the General Knowledge Test.