Non-Degree Information for General Applicants, and Potential Master's/Ed.S. Applicants
The Department does offer non-degree registration for select courses. The non-degree applicant can take up to 18 credits before acceptance to the Master's program at FAU. Only 6 credits from another institution can apply (must be less than 7 years old; if applicable, this would reduce the number of credits accepted from FAU to 12).
Non-degree applicants considering eventually applying to the Ed.S. program can take up to 9 credits before seeking admission to the Ed.S. program at FAU. Only 3 credits from another institution can apply (must be less than 7 years old; if applicable, this would reduce the number of credits accepted from FAU to 6). The aforementioned credits may be applied to the degree-seeking program upon the student's admittance.
To start taking classes as a non-degree seeking student:
- If not already an FAU student, please register as a non-degree seeking student first. Fill out the online application here.
- After the non-degree registration period begins, contact the Department of Counselor Education to confirm that there is availability in the desired course, and to confirm that it is open to the public. If both of the requirements are met, you will be able to reserve your seat in the course (this procedure is required for any and all courses in the program).
- You will then be notified that you have permission, and will be able to register online through the MyFAU platform.
- The core courses available to non-degree seeking students include:
- MHS 6340 CAREER DEVELOPMENT - (ONLINE)
- MHS 5428 COUNSELING SPECIAL NEEDS
- MHS 6700 LEGAL AND ETHICAL
- MHS 6482 LIFESPAN DEVELOPMENT – (ONLINE)
- EDF 6481 EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH * – (ONLINE)
- STA 6113 STATISTICS* – (ONLINE)
* Does not require Department of Counselor Education approval (steps 2 and 3), as the course is taught by another department (Educational Leadership and Research Methodology). Please contact that department for more details.