Travel Section IV.

A. Introduction

Travel expenses paid by Florida Atlantic University are closely regulated by statutory and university provisions and are closely monitored by the University. Florida Atlantic University is obligated to strictly adhere to state requirements when authorizing travel and when processing reimbursement requests. All travel reimbursements are made in accordance with section 112.061 of the Florida Statutes

Florida Statutes - Travel Related

A detailed interpretation of the statutes can also be found in the:

Reference Guide for State Expenditures

Four forms are utilized as required by the Florida Statutes and Florida Administrative Code:


(a) Establish that the employee's supervisor authorizes the absence;

(b) Provide documentation in case the employee has an accident and/or subsequent Workmen's Compensation claim;

(c) Attempt to predetermine that the employee will not incur expenses for which he or she may not be reimbursed; and,

(d) To ensure that adequate budget is available to reimburse the employee.

All Travel Authorization Request must be done through the Banner Travel system.

2. The TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT VOUCHER is used to establish a claim for the total amount to be reimbursed to a traveler.

The Travel reimbursement Voucher is submitted by the traveler. All travel reimbursements are electronically submitted through the new Banner system except for the following:

  • Traveler requested a cash advance for the trip

3. A CHANGE ORDER ON TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION REQUEST is used to increase the Travel Authorization Request (TAR) amount by more than ten percent, to cancel TAR's, or to change other information submitted earlier on the TAR. All change orders are submitted electronically through the new Banner system.

4. An APPLICATION FOR ADVANCE ON TRAVEL EXPENSES is used to obtain a travel advance. Travel advances may be issued to partially cover expenses when all of the following are met:

  • Travel has been approved and is evidenced by a TAR
  • Amount requested is not in excess of eighty percent of the estimated, allowable out-of-pocket and per diem expenses
  • Travel advance is submitted no longer then ten day prior to the commencement of the trip.

B. Definitions

Authorized university employee --An individual appointed to perform the duties and responsibilities of an authorized position.

Authorized Person Other Than University Employee--An individual other than a university employee who is authorized to travel in the performance of official university duties. Some examples are

  • A university student or part-time employee approved for travel by the appropriate department head
  • A candidate for an executive, professional, or faculty university position
  • A university consultant University Employee or advisor

Class A Travel - (Per Diem Reimbursement)--Continuous travel at least twenty-four (24) hours away from official headquarters.

Class B Travel - (Per Diem Reimbursement)--Continuous travel of less than twenty-four (24) hours which involves overnight absence from official headquarters

Class C Travel - is defined as short or day trips in which the traveler is not away from his/her official headquarters overnight.

Class C allowances have been reviewed by the State Legislature, and are currently NOT to be reimbursed to travelers.

Common Carrier--Train, bus, or commercial airline operating scheduled flights or rental cars of an established rental car firm.

Complimentary--Something of value that is of no direct or indirect cost to the University. Refer to the section on Complimentary Travel.

Conference/Convention - The coming together of persons with a common interest or interests for the purpose of deliberation, interchange of views, or for discussion of their common problems and interests. The term also includes similar meetings such as seminars and workshops which are large formal group meetings that are programmed and supervised to accomplish intensive research, study, discussion and work in some specific field or on a governmental problem or problems and required when there is a registration fee. A conference does not mean the coming together of state university personnel.

Foreign Travel - Travel outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Travel from/return to a foreign country is considered foreign.

  • Travel expenses of public officers or employees for the purpose of implementing, organizing, directing, coordinating, or administering, or supporting the implementation, organization, direction, coordination, or administration of, activities related to or involving travel to a terrorist state shall not be allowed under any circumstances. For purposes of this section, "terrorist state" is defined as any state, country, or nation designated by the United States Department of State as a state sponsor of terrorism.

Travel Authorization Request (TAR) -- An on-line request made through the new Banner to secure approvals and encumbering the funds for any business trip.

Local--Travel between cities which does not result in an overnight absence or common carrier charges.

Moving Expenses - Expenditures associated with moving an employee are NOT to be paid as a travel reimbursement.

Official Headquarters--The city or town of the area where the majority of an employee's work is performed or another city or town designated by the University President or designee in the best interest of the University.

When an employee is stationed in a city or town for a period of over thirty (30) continuous work-days, such city or town shall be deemed to be his official headquarters. (S)he shall not be allowed per diem or subsistence after the period of thirty (30) continuous work-days has lapsed, unless extended by prior approval of the University President, or his/her designee.

A university employee on travel status may leave his assigned post to return home overnight, over a weekend, or during a holiday. However, any time lost from his regular duties shall be taken as annual leave and authorized in the usual manner. He shall not be reimbursed for traveling expenses in excess of the established rate for the per diem allowable had he remained at his assigned post.

Physically Handicapped - Generally this means, any person having a physical disability, including but not limited to blindness, or the loss of one or more life functions leaving that person mobility-impaired (or sensory-impaired) requiring the use of trained animal companions or prosthetic equipment, including, but not limited to, crutches, walkers, canes, or wheelchairs. An ADA form indicating this handicap has to be on file with the Personnel Office.

Portage - Assistance in carrying or transporting the traveler's luggage and/or materials.

Shared Expenses - Requires a copy of the other traveler's Travel Reimbursement Voucher. If no expenses were incurred by one traveler and all was paid by another, a signed statement is required by the traveler not claiming reimbursement stating what expenses the other traveler paid for them. Meals can only be claimed by each individual traveler.

Team Travel - travel by more than one person to the same destination under the sponsorship of the University.The only exception of this policy is travel by groups in activities sponsored by Executive Programs.

Travel Day--A period of twenty-four (24) hours consisting of four 6-hour quarters.

Travel Desk--The Travel Section of the University Controller's Office where TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION REQUESTS and TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT VOUCHERS are processed.

Travel Expense - Authorized travel expenses of travelers shall be limited to those expenses necessarily incurred by them in the performance of a university purpose and must be within the limitations of these directives and procedures.

Travel Period--A period of time between the time of departure from and the time of return to official headquarters or travelers residence.

Travel Reimbursement Voucher--A form, obtainable from the internet, either paper or new Banner must be completed and submitted to the University Controller's Office within sixty calendar days of the end of the travel period. This form documents expenses and represents the traveler's request for reimbursement of expenses.

Vicinity--Travel within the immediate area. Travel between cities is not considered vicinity.

C. Outline of Procedures

The following is an outline of steps which must be followed while preparing for a trip and for subsequent reimbursement of travel expenses. These steps are discussed in greater detail in the following sections of this manual.

1. Prepare a TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION REQUEST in the new Banner system and allow at least 5 days for the approval process before trip begins.

2. Reserve airline tickets, car rentals, and hotels using the university travel agency to ensure contract rates.

3. For direct payment of registration fees, prepare a GENERAL REQUISITION or charge the registration fee against a University p-Card. Submit to the Division of Purchasing.

4. Request a travel advance if authorized. Travel advances should be requested no earlier then 10 days prior to the start of the travel.

5. Pick up airline ticket(s) and hotel and car rental information from the university's travel agency.

6. Prepare a TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT VOUCHER after completion of travel. Submit the original of the reimbursement request with all supporting documentation to the University Controller's Office. Travel Reimbursement vouchers are required to be submitted electronically through the Banner Travel system or manually to the Controller's office as applicable within sixty calendar days after the expenses are incurred. The Internal Revenue Service requires that travel reimbursements not filed within sixty calendar days be taxable. (IRS pub 463, accountable plans). Does not pertain to blanket tars.

D. Authority and Regulations Governing Travel

  • Section 112.061, Florida Statutes
  • Rules of the Department of Banking and Finance (State Comptroller's Office)
  • Rules of the Department of Education/Board of Governors
  • State Comptroller's Memoranda
  • Attorney General's Opinions
  • IRS Publications

E. Procedural Guidelines

The following guidelines have been established to insure compliance with Florida Statutes, regulations of the Board of Governors and university policies:

  • The standard modes of travel are university owned vehicles, personal automobiles, airlines, and other common carriers. The most economical mode (considering time away from regular duties) should be selected. The university encourages staff members to use a car pool to a common destination.
  • Official travel should be approved by the authorized officers.
  • Individuals who will be away from the office traveling on non-university funds or for personal reasons should document that fact in a memorandum or other appropriate means of communication to their supervisor. Refer to the Complimentary Travel section.
  • Travelers preferring to secure first-class airline accommodations will only be reimbursed at state contract rates. The traveler is responsible for the difference in rates. The following statement must appear on the travel voucher: The monetary difference between first class and tourist rates ($____) has been reimbursed to Florida Atlantic University as evidenced by the attached receipt.

Should the travel agency determine that only first class accommodations are available, reservations may be consummated and the following statement must be reflected on the travel voucher: I was informed at the time reservations were made that only first class accommodations were available. This statement is also used when authorized changes are made in transit and tourist accommodations are not available.

  • Rental Car Service

To view the current rental rates, please visit the State Car Rental Contract . 

F. Travel Authorization Request Form (TAR)

  • Definition - The Travel Authorization Request (TAR) is the State's official document to secure approval to incur travel expenses. This form must be submitted for all travel performed by individuals traveling on official business of the university. All TARS are submitted electronically through the Banner travel system

Personal side trips are authorized while on state business. The traveler must file annual leave slips if appropriate. No expenses related to personal travel can be included for payment by the university. Personal travel while in travel status for the State should be clearly noted on the TAR and expense reimbursement.

  • Time of Submission--The TAR must be received by the Travel Desk by no later then the day prior to the start of the travel.
  • Blanket TAR--A blanket TAR may be set up when an employee performs numerous trips to the same destination or for vicinity travel. The TAR must include the name and employee ID (Z#) of the traveler, destination and the estimated total amount to be reimbursed for the period covered by the TAR. A blanket TAR may be set up for a three month or shorter period; however all blanket TARs will expire at the end of the fiscal year (June 30). A new blanket TAR must be issued to cover the new fiscal year. The TAR number must be submitted on all travel vouchers
  • Specific Instructions for Preparation of a TAR
  • Department Number: Indicate the number of the department to which the travel expenses will be charged. Sufficient Funds must be available in the Index before a TAR can be processed. If more than one department is funding the travel, allocate cost of travel to each department on separate TARs and cross reference (TAR #s) on the reimbursements.
  • Address: Specify the department's building and room number.

  • Telephone Number: Specify the telephone number where the traveler can be reached during working hours.

  • Purpose of Trip: State clearly the purpose of the trip, for example, "to discuss procedures for preparation of annual reports with members of other universities". The purpose of the trip must be for the official business of the University and for the benefit of the State.

  • Conference/Convention/Workshop/Seminar: Check this item if the trip is to attend a conference, convention, workshop or seminar. Also include on this line a statement describing the benefit to the State. Attach to the Travel Voucher a copy of the agenda. The name of the organization must be provided in full; do not abbreviate.

  • Others Going to the Same Destination For the Same Purpose: Include the name(s) of other university employees attending the meeting or event.

  • Expenditures Reimbursed From Other Sources: Check this line if the University will be reimbursed by another agency or individual for travel expenses incurred in connection with the trip. Indicate the source.

  • Cash Advance: Refer to "Cash Advances" to determine if traveler is entitled to receive a cash advance. Cash advances cannot exceed 80% of the estimated travel expenses paid by the traveler. Cash advance has to be submitted no earlier then ten days prior to the commencement of the trip.

  • Date and Hour of Departure: Indicate the date and hour of departure.

  • Destination: List all cities included in the trip. If travel is within the city, show as "vicinity".

  • Date and Hour of Return: Indicate the date and hour of return.

  • Estimated Cost: Include in this section the total cost of the trip identifying each cost separately: per diem/hotel and meal allowance, mileage, common carrier, rental car and incidental expense. Identify each type of incidental expenses i.e., registration fee, parking, taxi, etc. Refer to "Per Diem" and "Meal Allowance", and "Automobile Travel", for discussions of the computation of per diem and mileage allowances.

  • Total Estimated Expenses: Add all amounts and show total here.

  • Traveler's Signature: An original signature by the traveler is required.

  • Supervisor's Signature: The TAR must be approved before it can be processed and before airline tickets can be released by the travel agency. Travel exceeding 30 calendar days or trips involving international travel must be approved by the President or his/her designee.

It is the responsibility of the traveler and his supervisor to predetermine and assure the availability of funds (particularly if the travel is to be financed from the budgetary funds of another department). At this point a traveler may be informed that, because of limited funds, reimbursement will be at a rate lower than the legal maximum.

5. Presidential or designee approval is required for the following:

  • Travel outside the U.S.
  • Temporary assignment in excess of thirty (30) calendar days
  • Travel in excess of one year

6. University rules permit a travel advance of 80% of per diem and out-of-pocket expenses.

7. Registration fees may be paid in advance. They should be submitted at least three weeks in advance, preferably, a month to give the Controller's Office time to process them. They should be requested on a General Requisition showing the name of the association to be paid, the travelers name and the benefit to the State. Completed requisitions should be forwarded to purchasing for completion.

G. Travel Arrangements

The traveler is responsible for making reservations for airline tickets, hotels and car rental using the official university travel agency.

To secure tickets the traveler must file a TAR through the Banner travel system.

  • Only with an assigned TAR number will the Travel Agency issue an airline ticket. The traveler is responsible for picking up tickets during normal working hours from the University's travel agency.

It is the traveler's responsibility to verify the information on the airline ticket and car rental reservation to make sure that dates, cities and other relevant data are correct.

  • Common Carrier-- We strongly suggest that travelers use the university's travel agency to avoid incurring expenses that will not be reimbursed by the university.

The University will only reimburse economy class airline travel. When extenuating circumstances exist, the traveler may be reimbursed for a higher class; however, this must be explained and documented on the TAR or travel voucher and approved by the traveler's supervisor.

Travelers preferring to secure first class accommodations deduct the difference between the economy and first class rate on their reimbursement voucher. A statement must be attached to the travel voucher indicating amount of difference.

  • Super Savers--Some airline companies offer "super saver " tickets at great discounts. The tickets must be purchased within a period specified by the airline. The following are important provisions that travelers must keep in mind when purchasing super saver tickets:

    • Once a super saver ticket has been issued, the traveler cannot make any changes. If changes are made the traveler may be personally liable for the cancellation penalty.
    • Super saver tickets may carry a cancellation clause whereby all or a percentage of the fare is not refunded if the ticket is changed or cancelled. The percentage of penalty varies with the airline and the type of ticket. The university may not reimburse the traveler for the cancellation penalty. If the travel is cancelled because of illness or due to the university's actions, the penalty may be charged to the department account. Written approval from the department head or a doctor's certificate will be required. Because of these provisions, it is recommended that travelers be cautious when purchasing super saver airline tickets.
  • Cancelled Airline Tickets--The traveler, or department, must promptly return to the place of purchase airline tickets that are not used due to cancellation of the trip. Failure to return the cancelled airline ticket promptly will create a non reimbursable charge to the traveler.
  • Receipts--The last copy of the airline ticket must be filed with the travel voucher.
  • Car Rental--The State of Florida has entered into a contract with Avis for the rental of cars to individuals traveling at state expense. If a traveler rents a car from a company other than Avis , the university will only reimburse up to the amount stipulated on the contract with Avis . To avoid incurring disallowed expenses it is strongly suggested that all travelers arrange to rent cars through the university's travel agency.

Travelers whose transportation is provided by rental vehicles shall make use of any State contract for rental vehicles which may be in effect at the time of the travel. The current State of Florida contract is with AVIS and can be found at the following website:

State AVIS contract

Failure to use the State contract for rental vehicles will require written justification by the traveler. In the event the traveler fails to justify use of other than the State contract, any additional cost will be borne by the traveler.

The cost of rental vehicles may be charged to a Florida Atlantic University Purchasing Card, a personal credit card or through an Avis voucher. An AVIS voucher form is used for car rentals to be billed directly to the University.

An AVIS voucher will be issued and accounted for as follows:

  • The form will be completed by the Travel desk. A separate voucher must be requested for each individual car rental.
  • Prior to picking up the AVIS voucher, the traveler needs to have an fully approved TAR and a valid reservation with AVIS.
  • The state contract requires the rental of a compact (Class B) or less, or a justification, signed by the traveler, of the necessity for a larger vehicle. Reservations are highly recommended. Be sure to retain the confirmation number for future reference. In the event a compact size vehicle is reserved but at the time of rental is not available, a larger vehicle should be substituted at no additional cost.
  • Vouchers should be used only when vehicle rentals are required for official business. In the event a rental vehicle is for a business trip combined with portions of annual leave voucher may not be used. It is suggested that the traveler pay with a credit card, requesting travel reimbursement for only the portion of official business usage.

If it is necessary to rent a vehicle from a non-contract vendor, the renter should purchase collision and comprehensive coverage insurance on the rental vehicle through the vendor. Do not purchase liability coverage. Contingent upon the employee being at fault, the University will accept liability for damages to the other vehicle. The University will not reimburse the traveler for the purchase of personal liability (bodily injury, property damage or other type of insurance).

  • The department is required to get a voucher for all visitors so that state contract rate may be obtained. AVIS will not allow the state rate for rental vehicles to a non - FAU employee unless this directive is followed.
  • The AVIS contract no longer reimburses the traveler for gasoline purchases. AVIS recommends returning the vehicle with a full tank of gas.
  • Before driving away from the rental premises, the traveler should examine the car to make sure it is not damaged. If the car is damaged, the traveler should notify the rental company and request another car or a written statement from a representative of the company acknowledging that the car was damaged when delivered to the traveler.
  • All accidents are to be reported to the car rental company. Any forms or reports prepared by the police or car rental company should be turned in to the university attorney.
  • Receipts: The traveler must obtain the original copy of the receipt from the car rental company at the time the car is returned. The receipt must be attached to the travel voucher submitted to the Travel Desk. A copy of the receipt is required even if the traveler did not pay directly for the rental.
  • Mandatory Use of Seat Belts: All occupants of state rented vehicles are required by law to use seat belts while traveling in such vehicles. Failure to use seat belts may result in disciplinary action or reduced worker's compensation benefits in the event of an accident.
  • The state contract is based on a usage of 200 miles per day. AVIS charges 06ct/mile if mileage in Florida exceeds 200/day.

8) Use of Personal Automobile--A traveler may use his/her own automobile when it is in the best interest of the State. The university will reimburse the traveler for the official mileage between the cities or the contracted airfare, whichever is less. Refer to the "Mileage Allowance" section for exceptions to this rule.

  • Mileage Allowance--A traveler using a personal automobile is authorized to be reimbursed $0.445 per mile.

A record of miles traveled must be accurately maintained and shown on the travel voucher form. The voucher must show miles of travel from point of origin to point of destination. Whenever possible mileage between cities must be obtained from the mileage chart available at the Travel Desk. Times of departure and/or return must be shown for each point of travel.

When the traveler uses a personal automobile, the total mileage allowance is limited to the contract fare of the comparable air travel. The per diem is also limited to the amount that would have been allowed had a contract airline been used. An exception to this rule is made when the automobile is shared with other travelers resulting in a savings to the university on airfare, or when the cost of renting an automobile in the city where business is conducted will exceed the mileage allowance claimed.

  • Mileage should be calculated from the travelers official headquarters or home, whichever is less.

The traveler is not allowed a mileage allowance when transported gratuitously by another person.

  • Mileage to Airport: When traveling to and from the airport, the traveler is authorized to claim mileage from his/her official headquarters or home, whichever is less.
  • Travel Route: All travel connected with the official business of the university must be by the most direct route. If a person travels by an indirect route for his/her own convenience the extra costs must be borne by the traveler. The University will only reimburse the traveler for those expenses that would have been incurred had the traveler used the most direct route.

9) Use of University Automobile--A university vehicle may be used when traveling from the university. Use of university vehicles is subject to availability. The following conditions apply:

  • Travelers using a university vehicle are required to have a valid driver's license and to fill out the log provided with the vehicle.
  • All occupants of state vehicles are required by law to use seat belts while traveling in such vehicles. Failure to use seat belts may result in disciplinary action or reduced worker's compensation benefits in the event of an accident.
  • Typically, a fuel card is provided with the university vehicles. If the fuel card can not be used, gas may be purchased using the traveler's personal funds. In addition a p-card may also be used to purchase fuel for business related travel only, as long as the vehicle in question is not considered a personal vehicle.  Personal vehicles may only be reimbursed at the mileage rate of .445 cents a mile.  Any reimbursement for gas purchase will be done by completing a Travel Reimbursement Voucher.

10. Hotel Accommodations--The traveler is responsible for making appropriate arrangements with hotels for the rental of rooms. Various hotels and hotel chains offer special government rates. The traveler can contact the university travel agency for information on such arrangements.

The University will reimburse at the rate of single occupancy only, unless the room is shared with another traveler. If the room is shared with another traveler(s) and the other traveler(s) is being reimbursed for the actual cost of hotel accommodations, the university will reimburse a pro rata share of the total cost of the room to each traveler. The travelers should request the hotel to issue a receipt to each room occupant.

The original itemized hotel receipt must be filed with the Travel Voucher. A copy of the credit card charge slip is not acceptable. Only the cost of the room (including tax) per night will be reimbursed. Personal calls, meals or any other charges included in the hotel bill are not reimbursable.

Travelers should only claim their own expenses. Travelers will only be reimbursed for their expenses.

H. Categories of Travel

  • Work-Related Travel is conducted when performing a job-related function which directly benefits the university.
  • Contracts and Grants Travel is funded by contracts and grants awarded to the university. Travel undertaken shall be construed as "work- related" unless otherwise stipulated. Allow (7) seven working days for Grant office approval of TAR's. Please note that there are special account codes for grant related travel.
  • Conference and Convention Travel is performed to provide a direct educational benefit supporting the work and purpose of the university, such as attendance at and/or participation in meetings of recognized technical, professional, or scholarly groups.
  • Workshops, Seminars or Other Training Travel expenses to attend workshops, seminars or other types of training must be incurred only when the subject matter of the training is relevant to the duties required in the employee's current position. The training must be intended to improve the efficiency of a "qualified" employee. Training which is intended to fit an employee to a position must not be supported with public funds.
  • Student Activity Group Travel is travel authorized by the Student Affairs Division and financed from Student Activity funds. Faculty and staff accompanying student groups as sponsors, coordinators, advisors, etc., are included in this category.
  • Complimentary Travel is travel which is of no cost to the University. A TAR is required to be prepared on the Banner Travel System.

I. Travel Advances

Only university employees are eligible to receive an advance unless a grant specifically states otherwise. Current travel advance directives and procedures provide for the following:

  • The Internal Revenue Service requires for travel reimbursements on outstanding cash advances not filed within thirty calendar days to be taxable. (IRS pub 463, accountable plans)
  • A traveler shall not have more than one advance at a time.
  • The advance must be settled no later than 30 calendar days from the travel ending date.
  • If not settled within 30 calendar days, the university will garnish and tax a traveler's wages through Payroll.
  • The traveler may make payment arrangements for a garnishment deduction until the cash advance is settled completely.
  • Prior to the 30 calendar days garnishment, the Travel and Expense Module will generate two email notifications regarding the unresolved outstanding debt to the traveler.
  • If the travel advance results in payroll garnishment, then the traveler will not qualify for future travel advances.

J. Travel Expense Reimbursements

Travel Reimbursement vouchers are required to be submitted electronically through Banner Travel System or manually to the Controller's office within sixty calendar days after the expenses are incurred. The Internal Revenue Service requires for travel reimbursements not filed within sixty calendar days to be taxable. (IRS pub 463, accountable plans)

  • The "Voucher for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses", commonly referred to as the "Travel Voucher", is the State's official document used to reimburse travelers for expenses incurred while on official travel. Section 112.061 of the Florida Statutes states in part: "No traveling expense statement shall be approved for payment by the Comptroller unless made on the form prescribed and furnished by the department (travel voucher form)".

Within sixty calendar days of completion of travel, the traveler must prepare a "travel voucher", sign the voucher, obtain the supervisor's signature noting approval, and submit to the University Controller's Office for payment. The travel voucher must include original receipts for hotel room, car rental, airline ticket and incidental expenses, where appropriate. Original travel voucher must be submitted.

  • Instructions for Preparation of Travel Voucher--The travel voucher form provides general instructions on its reverse side. The traveler should refer to those instructions and become familiar with them. The following are specific instructions for completion of the "travel voucher":
    • Payee: Type name of traveler
    • TAR #: Show the TAR number
    • Headquarters: City/campus in which the traveler's assigned office or place of work is located. If traveler is stationed in another city for a period of 30 continuous workdays, such city will become the official headquarters and traveler will not be allowed to receive further per diem or subsistence after said period unless specifically approved by the university president or his/her designee. If the traveler is not a university employee, headquarters is his/her place of employment or city of residence.
    • Z Number: Traveler's employee ID.
    • Appropriation: Index
    • Department: Name of the department to which the traveler is assigned.
    • Date: Enter, on a separate line, each day the traveler is in travel status.
    • Travel Performed From Point of Origin to Destination: The first line will show the city where the travel originated to the traveler's destination while the last line will show the reverse. Show the traveler's location each day. For example, if a traveler whose headquarters is Miami spends three days in Chicago and two days in New York starting May 1, this column (and date column) will look as follows:

      • May 1 Miami to Chicago
      • May 2 Chicago
      • May 3 Chicago to New York City
      • May 4 New York City
      • May 5 New York City to Miami

The traveler must also communicate the benefit to the State in this section.

  • Purpose or Reason: State the purpose of the travel. If attending a conference, convention, seminar or workshop, communicate the benefit to the State. The name of organizations must be provided in full; do not abbreviate.
  • Hours of Departure and Return: This is the time the traveler leaves home or place of work to commence travel.
  • Per Diem or Actual Lodging Expenses: Travelers can claim either a daily per diem of $80/day, or the actual lodging expenses substantiated by a receipt plus the applicable meal per diem.

The meal per diem is:







Each day's expenses, including per diem or meals, should be listed on a separate line. For example, if the total cost of hotel accommodations for two days was $120.00, you will show $60.00 each day under the column "per diem or meals". Do not lump together the daily meal allowance and the daily cost of hotel. You will need to use a line for each day when claiming a meal allowance and reimbursement for hotel accommodations.

If travel expenses are paid by others, or exceed the department's travel allowance, type "COMP" on the appropriate line where the cost would have ordinarily been shown.

If the registration fee includes a continental breakfast or meals, the traveler is not authorized to claim such meals. If traveler opted not to attend meal function - this is not an acceptable explanation to reimburse meal allowance if meal was included in registration fee. Meals provided by concession funds of universities in the State University System must also be deducted from the daily allowance.

Per diem or meal allowance is not authorized for travel within the city of the traveler's headquarters.

  • Map Mileage Claimed: Report mileage between two cities when traveling by car. This must be the official highway mileage shown on Exhibit 1. Add up this column to arrive at the total number of miles traveled. Do not include fractions of a mile. Annotate the result at the bottom of the column. Multiply the total number of miles by the mileage allowance ($0.445 as of the publication of this manual). The result should be placed at the bottom on the last line of this column.

If riding with someone else, or using a university owned vehicle, the traveler is not entitled to a mileage allowance.

A traveler can not be reimbursed for mileage or other transportation expenses when the cost of the trip is paid by another, or when riding with another traveler who is claiming the mileage allowance.

  • Vicinity Mileage Claimed: Miles traveled within the city ONLY. Mileage for travel outside of the city is to be reported in the column titled "Map Mileage". Follow the same procedure described above to arrive at the total allowance. Refer to Exhibit 2 for the authorized mileage between campuses.
  • Other Expenses: Report here the cost of incidental expenses such as taxi fares, parking, tolls, etc. Include in this column the cost of airfare and car rental paid by the traveler.

Incidental expenses must be identified separately and reported on the line for the day incurred. Receipts where required must be filed with the travel voucher. If a receipt is required but is not available and the expense item is under $25.00 the traveler must attach to the travel voucher a signed statement certifying that the expense was incurred. The type of expense, date incurred and amount must be disclosed on the statement. If a receipt is required but is not available and the expense item is $25.00 or more, the traveler must secure another "original" receipt to be reimbursed by the University.

Add up each column separately and include in the block titled "TOTAL" the sum of the columns for per diem, mileage and incidental expenses. If a cash advance was obtained, subtotal all expenses claimed, deduct amount of cash advance and insert amount due traveler.

  • Payee Signature and Title: Before signing this line, the traveler must read the certification statement included just above the signature line. Only original signatures will be accepted on the travel voucher. Rubber stamps or signatures by someone else are unacceptable.
  • Supervisor Signature and Title: Traveler's supervisor must sign this line. Only original signatures will be accepted. Rubber stamps or signatures by someone else are unacceptable.
  • Travel Performed By Common Carrier or State Vehicle (Reverse Side of Travel Voucher): For use of direct paid items on authorized grants only. Include in this section the airline ticket number, points of travel, cost of airline ticket and initials of airline company. Also include here the same data for car rentals. If traveler pays for the airfare or the car rental, omit the amount. In those instances the amount is shown in the "Incidental expenses" column. If using a state owned vehicle, include the vehicle number.
  • State of Florida Purchasing card Charges: list the travel related pcard charges in this section.

Be sure to include the TAR number on all reimbursement voucher forms and attach all receipts. Make a complete copy of the voucher and supporting receipts. The original and copy should be submitted to the University Controller's Office.

University travel is reimbursed only on the basis of reasonable expenses incurred, subject to the limitations set forth in these directives and procedures. Requests for reimbursement are to be submitted through the Banner Travel system or on a Travel Reimbursement Voucher where applicable. Original receipts are required for all major travel expenses, including airfare, hotel, and car rental, and other miscellaneous expenses. The University pays a meal per diem and mileage as stated in FS 112.061.

Travel expenses of travelers must be limited to those expenses necessarily incurred by them in the performance of a public purpose authorized by law to be performed by the University and must be within the limitations of these directives and procedures.

Travel expenses of employees for the sole purpose of taking merit system or other job placement examinations, written or oral, are not allowed.

A traveler who becomes sick or injured while away from his or her official headquarters and is therefore unable to perform the official business of the University may continue to receive subsistence during this period of illness or injury until such time as he or she is able to perform the official business of the University or returns to his or her official headquarters, whichever is earlier.

Each Travel Reimbursement Voucher must be signed by the traveler. If the traveler prepares the Travel Reimbursement Voucher in the Banner Travel system, the electronic signature is all that is needed. Individuals responsible for approving Travel Reimbursement Vouchers are to ensure that expenses are appropriate and that all required receipts are attached. The traveler is then reimbursed for expenses incurred.

All travel-related expenses must be listed on the Travel Reimbursement Voucher including expenses paid with a Purchasing Card, AVIS or by direct payment. This is done to properly reflect the true cost of the travel and to provide for full disclosure for auditing purposes.

Travelers are to choose the most practical and economical mode of transportation, and are generally to travel the most direct route. Consideration is to be given to the total cost to the University, considering time of the traveler, impact on the productivity of the traveler, cost of transportation, and per diem required. All travelers are to comply with the following directives and procedures for reasonable transportation expenditures.

Travel advances are to be reconciled on the Travel Reimbursement Voucher within 30 calendar days of the traveler's return to headquarters. The Internal Revenue Service requires that travel expenses for cash advances not filed within thirty calendar days to be taxable. (IRS pub 463, accountable plans).If the amount of a travel advance exceeds travel expenditures, the unused portion of the advance is to be returned to the University. The reimbursement (check/money order payable to the Florida Atlantic University) and the completed form should be sent to the University Travel Office with the Travel Reimbursement Voucher.

  • Commercial Transportation

The University reimburses commercial airfares for economy/coach accommodations. First and business class transportation is not allowed. Whenever possible, discounted or reduced round-trip rates should be considered when available. Many airlines discount flights involving a Saturday night stay over. The traveler may consider the option of extending one's stay over a Saturday when the expense of an extra night's lodging and additional meals is less than the savings between the airfare involving the Saturday night stay over and the airfare not involving a Saturday night stay over. Air travel is recommended when the cost of an employee's time is an important factor or when travel time by other methods would increase the subsistence expense.

  • Purchase of Tickets

Transportation arrangements are to be made directly by the traveler/department. The traveler must retain all transportation ticket receipts for purposes of documenting Travel Reimbursement Voucher reconciliations. This includes showing the purchase amount of the ticket and method of payment.

Penalties for cancellation of discounted airline tickets, generally referred to as "super saver" tickets, may be paid from university funds only if the cause for cancellation is in the best interest of the University or if the cancellation is due to illness of the traveler or illness or death of a member of the traveler's immediate family, for which an employee is authorized to use sick or administrative leave. If the ticket is canceled for the convenience of the traveler, the cancellation penalty may not be paid or reimbursed from university funds. Although the savings realized from the use of such tickets may be considerable, it should also be kept in mind that the penalties for cancellation of the tickets are generally substantial. Travelers or persons making travel arrangements should carefully evaluate the circumstances and risk of cancellation prior to the purchase of each such ticket in order to avoid or at least minimize the cancellation penalty on these tickets. When it is determined that it is in the best interest of the University to cancel a "super saver" ticket and pay the cancellation penalty, justification detailing the circumstances surrounding the cancellation must be included in the Travel Reimbursement Voucher submitted to the University Travel Office.

Charges assessed for the replacement of lost tickets are not reimbursable, and will be borne by the traveler.

  • Private Automobile

When travel by private automobile is chosen over commercial transportation in order to save time, to transport equipment, or to reduce costs when a number of people are traveling together to the same destination, reimbursement to the traveler is made on the basis of mileage traveled. The mileage allowance covers all operating costs of the vehicle. Repair costs are not reimbursable, whether they result from the traveler's acts or the acts of others. However, parking charges and ferry, bridge, tunnel and road tolls are reimbursable in addition to the mileage allowance.

An accurate daily record of miles traveled is to be maintained. Upon completion of travel, mileage and expenses are to be submitted on a Travel Reimbursement Voucher in the Banner Travel system.

Travelers are allowed up to 1 day on domestic travel and 2 days on foreign travel to reach destination.

No allowance shall be made for meals when travel is confined to the city or town of the official headquarters. As noted earlier, Class C meal allowances are not permissible

To meet state requirements, a traveler may be asked to provide additional information or to modify a reimbursement request. This information is requested to eliminate reimbursement delays and to be certain that all travel expenses will be covered, if possible.

K. Incidental Expenses

The following may be reimbursed:

  • Taxi fares and Shuttle Service

The cost of taxi fares and shuttle service to and from airports and railroad stations is reimbursable.

  • Fares in excess of $25 on a per fare basis supported by a receipt.
  • Lost taxi fare and/or shuttle service receipts are reimbursable to a one time per trip maximum of $25.00.
  • Storage, parking fees or tolls. Necessary charges for parking will be reimbursed, including airport parking fees. The actual amount paid for mandatory valet parking and for valet tips that do not exceed $1 per occasion and which were incurred in the performance of public business will be reimbursed. Such fees shall not be allowed on a weekly or monthly basis for privately owned automobiles unless it can be established that such method results in savings to the State.
  • Work-related communication expenses (telephone, telegraph, etc.) These charges must be identified as official state business. Receipts are required.
  • Convention or conference registration fee (receipt and agenda required).
  • Tips and gratuities may be reimbursed the traveler as per the following:
  • (1) Tips paid to taxi drivers which shall not exceed fifteen percent of the fare.
  • Valet parking which shall not exceed $1 per occasion incurred in the performance of public business.
  • Portage charges paid which shall not exceed $1 per bag not to exceed a total of $5 per incident.
  • Laundry and pressing expenses when official travel extends beyond seven days and such expenses are necessarily incurred to complete the official business portion of the trip.
  • Passport and visa fees required for official travel.
  • Fees charged to purchase traveler's checks for official travel expenses.
  • Fees charged to exchange currency necessary to pay official travel expenses.
  • Cost of maps necessary to conduct official business.
  • Car rental (receipt required).
  • Excess baggage charges are reimbursable only for materials used for university business. A supporting receipt is required.

The following are not reimbursable:

  • Personal travel insurance (life or medical insurance)
  • Rental car insurance option for personal accident waiver.
  • Personal telephone calls should not be charged to university telephone numbers or credit cards, nor should they be listed as items for reimbursement on a travel voucher.
  • Tours, side trips, etc. which do not benefit the State.
  • Traffic fines or parking violations.
  • Mileage between home and official place of work.
  • Meals in excess of per diem.
  • Flight Insurance
  • GPS

L. Workers' Compensation For Injuries Incurred During Travel Period

  • Employees are covered by Workers' Compensation if travel has been approved in advance by the employee's supervisor. If the university will pay the expenses associated with the employee's travel, a Travel Authorization Request must be filed. If the university pays no expenses associated with the employee's travel, a TAR is not required. However, the employee is required to have some form of documentation on file in his department. Refer to Exhibit 16, for a sample of the type of documentation which can be used.
  • University employees are entitled to Workers' Compensation benefits under the following circumstances:
  • While traveling to and from work-related meetings, conferences, and conventions
  • While traveling to and from professional meetings.
  • While performing official business for the university, even though travel to and attendance at a meeting has been combined with a vacation period. If the individual is injured on a private enterprise, such as his vacation, he is not entitled to receive benefits.
  • When injury occurs during "non-business" hours and the individual has been attending professional or work-related meetings for several hours a day.
  • Claims or requests for further information should be directed to the FAU Human Resources

M. Foreign Travel

  • All foreign travel must have a Travel Authorization (TA) established in the Travel and Expense System. Approvals must route through the dean or director level, Grants (if applicable), with final approval from the Provost Office. Each traveler will receive an email message outlining the Federal Export Control Law, the travel warning list and the Travel Release of Liability form to be signed and returned to the Provost Office.

  • Travel to Foreign Countries

    When traveling to a foreign country travelers should read appropriate U.S. State Department advisories before beginning travel to a foreign destination and in general exercise prudence whenever traveling to a foreign location.

    Reference Source: Department of State Travel Advisories

  • Traveling with Equipment

    Best practice for international travel with a laptop is to not have specialized software installed and to not contain unpublished data or research.

  • Foreign Reimbursable Guidelines

    Florida Atlantic University uses the U.S. Department of State Foreign Per Diem rates for foreign travel. The Federal rates given on their website includes lodging, meals and incidental expenses. However, FAU travelers should follow the state laws and university travel policies and procedures for incidentals. Only lodging and meals will follow the Federal Government allowable rates.

    IMPORTANT NOTE : For some countries, the allowable rates/per diems will change from month to month. Since the U.S. Department of State’s website does not list future months, it is important to obtain the allowable rates/per diem for the correct travel month once the traveler returns from the trip. To avoid mistakes, it is strongly recommended that departments contact the Controller’s Office Travel Desk to obtain the correct allowable rates/per diem for lodging and meals before processing the Travel Reimbursement (TR).

  • Hotel Accommodations

    Travelers may be reimbursed for the actual lodging rates, not to exceed the Federal foreign maximum lodging rates for the travel location. Note that these lodging rates are not to be considered a flat per diem rate but as a maximum allowable or “threshold” rate.

    Example - the traveler is going to Paris, France and the maximum lodging rate is $379.00 which is the amount that the traveler should not exceed on a daily basis. The traveler will get reimbursed for the actual lodging rate not the maximum rate.

    Lodging costs which exceeds the maximum allowable rates are acceptable if the traveler stays at the conference hotel or an organized activity equivalent to a conference. The actual daily rate for the conference hotel should be supported by the conference documentation and kept with the reimbursement paperwork. Any rate in excess of the published conference hotel rates will not be reimbursed.

    Lodging reimbursement is limited to single occupancy unless rental accommodations are shared by more than one authorized traveler. The most economical means should be considered. Itemized paid lodging receipts must be provided, therefore, we strongly recommend avoiding any prepaid hotel arrangements since many times the receipt is not itemized upon checkout.

  • Meals

    All meal rates while in foreign locations will be reimbursed at the rate applicable to those locations. Please note that the M&IE rates listed on the U.S. Department of State Foreign Per Diem Rates website includes both meals and incidentals. Incidentals must be removed from the M&IE rates before determining the daily meal per diems. Please contact the Travel Desk to obtain the correct per diem amounts to avoid any errors.

    Rates for foreign travel shall begin on the date and time of arrival in the foreign country from the United States and terminate on the date and time of the departure from the foreign country to the United States.

    Example – The traveler stops off in Newark, New Jersey before heading to Edinburgh, Scotland. Any meal per diems in New Jersey will be at the State per diem rate not the foreign per diem rate. Once the plane lands in Scotland then the foreign rates begin. Moreover, once leaving Scotland to head back to the United States, the foreign meal per diems will stop, so any flight layovers in this country will be at the State per diem rate.

    When a traveler goes from one foreign location to another, reimbursement for meals shall be based on the allowance listed for the referenced location during the meal period.

    Example - The traveler departed London at 3:00 p.m. for Germany, the London allowance for breakfast and lunch would be used and the Germany allowance for dinner would be used.

    The State of Florida $80.00 flat per diem rate may not be combined with the reimbursement of foreign travel costs pursuant to the allowances under the federal guidelines for the same travel day. The two methods of reimbursement, state per diem and foreign allowances, cannot be claimed on the same travel day.

  • Receipts Required

    Receipts are required for reimbursement of lodging and incidental costs. Itemized paid lodging receipts must be provided. Incidental expenses must be supported in accordance with University travel policies and procedures and Section 112061 (8), F.S. Receipts are not required for meal reimbursements.

  • Car Rentals

    The AVIS contract is only applicable for renting from within the continental U.S. Car rentals are limited to subcompact or compact class only, unless a recognized letter of justification has been signed by the supervisor and fund manager and kept with the travel documentation.

  • Converting Receipts for Foreign Language and Currency

    Amounts for reimbursements must be entered into the travel system in U.S. dollars. If receipts are in a foreign language and currency, each item must be identified and the rate of exchange for conversion to U.S. dollars (USD) must be used. The applicable USD exchange rates are those rates which are in effect the day the transaction occurs. For example, the day a hotel bill is paid.

    OANDA is an excellent source that should be used in exchanging these foreign rates.

    Reference Source: Foreign Exchange Rates

    Reference Source: U.S. Department of State Foreign Per Diem Rates


Note: all information in this manual is subject to change by the appropriate authority.

Send comments or questions to Stacey Semmel,

Updated September 2013

Privacy Policy | University Regulations and Policies | Emergency Information | Get Help | Contact Us

An Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Institution
© Copyright 2016. Florida Atlantic University.
Florida Atlantic University
 Last Modified 11/8/16