Purchasing Card Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What do I do if my credit card is declined at point-of-purchase?

    You should call your Purchasing Card Administrator (Purchasing Department) at (561) 297 3080 for information on how to proceed. Purchases may be declined for a variety of reasons including your overall credit limit, the single transaction threshold, the type of merchant or commodity, or a cautionary hold placed on the card.

  2. Under what circumstances might my card be declined?

    Your card will be declined if:

    1. You have exceeded your designated single purchase or monthly credit limit(s).
    2. You attempt to use the card for a blocked merchant or commodity category.
    3. There is a cautionary hold placed on your card.

  3. Will I encounter questions concerning the tax-free status of my purchases?

    The card itself should be sufficient identification to allow you to make tax free purchases in the state of Florida, however, there are vendors who will want to have you fill out a standard form that their business requires. Wallet size tax exemption certificates are available in the Purchasing Department to all Cardholders.

  4. What do I do if I am charged tax?

    If you are still at the place of purchase, ask the merchant to correct the charge. If you have left the place of purchase or if the merchant refuses to credit the tax, you may still make the purchase on an exception basis. You will need to document your receipt as such.

  5. Should I give the vendor my "bill to" or "ship to" addresses?

    Instruct the vendor to ship to the appropriate FAU location (do not use Central Receiving). Each address should include a contact person’s name, University street address, building and room number, city, state and zip code. Never use your home address as the “ship-to” location.

  6. How will making purchases with the Purchasing Card affect the University's minority business statistics?

    Spending with state certified minority vendors using a purchasing card will be accumulated by Banner as usual.

  7. Will the Purchasing Card transactions appear on Banner reports and inquiries?

    Yes. Purchasing card payment amounts will be included as disbursement amounts as they are direct disbursements and purchasing card refunds/credits will reduce disbursements. Both transaction types will be listed on Banner reports and inquiries that provide transaction listings.

  8. What do I do if a charge shows that I (the cardholder) did not make?

    Contact the Associate Purchasing Card Administrator (Controller’s Office) at 561-297-3122 with the specific information. Please have your account number ready, along with any relevant transaction information.

  9. What would happen if I used my Purchasing Card to make a personal purchase?

    Your card would be canceled. In addition, you would be required to reimburse the University immediately, including sales tax. You may also be subject to disciplinary action. If you accidentally used your pCard to make a personal purchase, you must contact the Purchasing Card Administrator (561-297-3080) immediately.

  10. What do I do if my card is lost or stolen?

    Contact the Director of Purchasing Immediately at 561-297-3080. The card will be canceled and a new card issued. If you discover that the card is missing after business hours, you should contact Bank of America loss prevention immediately at 1-888-449-2273. Have the card canceled but do not request a replacement card. Notify the Purchasing Director immediately upon your return to FAU for a replacement.

Send comments to Ed Schiff, schiff@fau.edu