What is Florida Connect?
Florida Connect is a two-year Residential Learning Community for out-of-state students to help you connect with each other, work through challenges together, and make Florida and FAU your new home away from home. In Florida Connect, 46 first-year students from outside of Florida live together in either Heritage Park Towers or Parliament Hall and have a set of supports and experiences to help you succeed. In your second year, you have the option to live in any on-campus residence hall as part of the Second Year Experience (SYE) program!
Why Should I Join?
- Florida Connect students get to move in early and participate in a Camp Owls experience to start building strong friendships and skills right away.
- Florida Connect students will have an OSSM (pronounced “awesome”) who is an Out-of-State Student Mentor who has already made a successful transition to FAU who will meet with you to help guide and support you.
- Florida Connect students will have a dedicated academic advisor, Ms. Angel Nevin, who moved to Florida when she was as a college student, too.
- During both fall and spring semesters, Florida Connect students will go on excursions to some of Florida’s significant and unique places!
Possible examples include:
- Learn about Florida as a center for hospitality and tourism and visit Disney World to identify how they put hospitality into practice
- Learn about the Everglades as a unique environmental and ecological habitat and then participate in a visit to the Everglades with airboat rides
- Learn about the Latin American and Caribbean cultures in South Florida and spend the day in Miami visiting cultural locations and tasting their traditional foods
- Learn about the marine life in Florida and visit Gumbo Limbo Nature Center, Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, or Marine Lab in the Keys!
- In the Fall, Florida Connect students will take a 2-credit course created just for you. In this course you will learn about making the transition as an out-of-state student while also learning interesting things about your new state through the eyes of FAU faculty.
- In the Spring, students will take a 0-credit (no tuition!) course in which you will continue building college-level academic success strategies and start reflecting on your first year in college, in Florida, and in the Florida Connect Learning Community.
- Students who successfully complete this two-year program with a minimum of 3.0 FAU GPA and 60 credits before the start of their third fall semester will be awarded a tuition waiver for three credits in their junior year- worth over $2100!
How Do I Sign Up?
If this sounds like a great way for you to start your FAU experience in fall 2018, apply for Florida Connect by completing the following by Wednesday, May 23, 2018*:
- Submit the Florida Connect acceptance form (Google Form)
- Complete the FAU Housing contract with application fee
- Complete the FAU Residential Learning Community contract (with FLORIDA CONNECT as your selected Learning Community)
*Please note that this program may fill BEFORE the May 23rd deadline so apply TODAY!
You must also complete the following pre-registration requirements by Sunday, July 1, 2018:
- Register for orientation
- Complete the Online Advising & Resource System (OARS)
- Remove your immunization hold and all other registration holds
- Complete the ALEKS PPL math assessment if you are coming to FAU without prior credit for college level math
Florida Connect is open to the FIRST 46 students to complete the application and pre-registration requirements by the above deadlines. Due to limited space and high interest in this program, students who apply but fail to complete all requirements by July 1 will not have their space in the Florida Connect Learning Community held.
If you have any questions, please contact the Center for Learning And Student Success (CLASS) at 561.297.0906 or email@example.com.