College for Design and Social Inquiry

Florida Atlantic University

Frequently Asked Questions for Graduate Students

Frequently Asked Questions for Admissions

  1. What are the admissions requirements for any CDSI Graduate Program?

    Each graduate program has different admission requirements. You can review the requirements at each program’s website listed below. You can also view the programs and all FAU graduate programs on the Graduate College website:

  2. Can I take non-degree seeking classes that will count for my degree?

    Yes, you can take up to 1/3 of the total program requirements prior to admission into a graduate program. To register as a non-degree seeking student, contact the Office of Registrar.

  3. How do I get an application?

    For any graduate program at FAU, you must apply electronically through the Graduate College Please send all official transcripts and official GRE scores directly to the FAU Graduate College. Some graduate programs may have a supplemental application and additional documents to complete your application. Check with the program.

  4. I am transferring from another Master’s program. Will your program accept my credits?

    Acceptance of transfer credits must come from approved institutions. Up to 6 credits can be transferred with a minimum grade of “B”. If you wish to transfer more credits, you must complete a petition. Let the Program Coordinator know that you plan to transfer credits at the times of admissions. You may be asked to provide a course syllabus of each course that you want to transfer.

Frequently Asked Questions for current Graduate Students

  1. What is the Plan of Study (POS)?

    A Plan of Study is your academic roadmap of your graduate degree. It lists your completed, current, and future courses. All CDSI graduate students (except MSW students) must complete their POS during their second semester. To access your POS, log into myFAU and click on the “Graduate College” tab. Each POS gets reviewed by the Graduate Advisor, Program Coordinator, College Dean, and the Graduate College. You must have an approved POS on file prior to the semester of your graduation term. If you do not have an approved POS, you will not graduate.

  2. I already have an approved POS on file but I changed my courses. Do I need to complete another POS?

    No, you do not complete a new POS. You must complete the Form 9: Revision to the POS. Complete the entire form, sign the form, and submit it to the Graduate Academic Advisor. You do not need to complete a Form 9 every semester. You will receive an email notification from the Graduate College once the form is approved.

  3. I plan to take a semester off. Do I need to do anything?

    First, talk to the Graduate Advisor and your Program Coordinator. You must make sure to not break continuous enrollment. The University policy states that graduate students must be enrolled for at least one credit for at least two semesters of the academic year (fall, spring, or summer). If you break continuous enrollment, you will have to reapply to the university and to the program.

  4. I have taken all the correct courses and I plan to graduate within the next semester. What do I need to do?

    You must already have an approved POS on file with the Graduate College. If you have changed any of the courses on your POS, complete and submit the Form 9. In addition, you must complete the Application for Degree and turn it in to the Graduate Advisor. Each semester has a deadline to complete the application. Check with the FAU Academic Calendar.