TOP 10 REASONS TO NETWORK WITH PROFESSIONALS:
- You want additional direction concerning career goals from experienced and successful professionals which includes FAU Alumni.
- You want to know about career trends and issues.
- You are interested in learning about effective job search methods used by alumni.
- You are interested in learning what it is really like to live and work in your dream job.
- You are unsure about the type of employer for whom you would be a good “match.”
- You know now is the time to begin networking with people already working in your career field.
- You want to learn about selecting the right electives that will better prepare you for your career.
- You are interested in learning about career alternatives in your major.
- You want to gain an advantage over your competition.
GUIDELINES FOR SUCCESS WITH THE MENTOR PROGRAM:
Professionals expect that FAU students have some prior knowledge about their particular field or interest, so it is important for you to utilize available resources to research career information. You can project a positive and professional image in your contact with your mentor by:
- Arriving on time (or calling at the agreed upon time)
- Offering a firm handshake
- Maintaining a pleasant manner
- Dressing business-professional for face-to-face meetings
- Communicating effectively
- Having a clear agenda
- Staying focused
- Recording important information
- Asking for names of who might be helpful
- Thanking the alumnus/a for his/her time, including sending a “thank-you” note the next day
- Following up with the alumnus/a if appropriate
CONTACTING YOUR MENTOR:
To make the initial telephone and/or email contact, follow the suggested steps below:
- Hello, my name is ______________________ and I have been referred to you by the FAU Professional Mentor Program.
- I am currently a student studying __________________ at FAU, and am interested in talking with you:
- Since you graduated in _______________, a field I am interested in learning more about.
- (or) • Since you work for ________________, a company I am interested in learning more about.
- (or) • Since you live in ______________, an area I am interested in learning more about.
- Students interested in talking with their mentor by telephone should ask, “Is this a convenient time for you to speak with me?”
- Students interested in scheduling an appointment should ask, “Is it possible to schedule a meeting with you at your earliest convenience?”
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER ASKING:
- What interested you in getting involved in this particular career?
- What do you like best/least about you career/position?
- Are opportunities for advancement available? (explain)
- Did the company provide training for this particular position? Describe.
- What benefits does your organization provide?
- Is committee/professional association involvement encouraged?
- How did you learn about this career opportunity?
- Did your position require previous work experience?
- What type of courses would best prepare me for this type of position?
- What subscriptions and/or “listservs” do you recommend?
- What type of computer technology is used in your organization?
- May I contact you in the future if I have further questions or concerns?
- What additional advice can you give me?
WE WISH YOU THE BEST OF SUCCESS WITH YOUR PROFESSIONAL MENTOR
The FAU Professional Mentor Program is jointly sponsored by FAU Career Development Center and the FAU National Alumni Association, and is open to all FAU Students