Scholarships at SCMS
The following Scholarship/Internship Awards are available to Communication majors. They will be awarded at the end of the Spring semester at the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters Honors Convocation. Application Deadline: January 31, 2019.
A $1000 Scholarship from the Scripps Howard Foundation followed by an internship at WPTV Channel 5, West Palm Beach, Criteria: Minimum 3.00 GPA in Major: Film, Video and New Media Studies, Media Studies, and Journalism. Apply Now
The Worrell Enterprises, Inc. Scholarship Endowment provides a $1,000 scholarship, followed by an internship at the Milagro Center, an arts-integrated educational and cultural center in Delray Beach, Florida. Apply Now
- Be Caribbean American, African American, Hispanic American from Broward or Palm Beach Counties
- Undergraduate Student (Minimum 18 credit hours in Major)
- Graduate Student (Minimum 9 credit hours in Major)
A $1000 Ana Azcuy Excellence in Journalism Scholarship followed by an internship at WPLG/TV 10, Miami, for a Hispanic student in Multimedia Journalism or Media Studies. Apply Now
- Minimum 3.00 GPA in Major, Multimedia Journalism or Media Studies
- 18 credit hours in major
- Preference is given to Hispanic students
- Must receive financial aid
- The applicants must have an expressed interest in a career in Journalism evidenced by an internship, work in a student media organization at FAU, such as The University Press, the Student Government Television OWL-TV, or WOWL Radio, or a related organization
- Applicants must demonstrate success either through outstanding academic achievement or through honors, awards, or other types of recognition
The Palm Beach Post/James M. Cox, Jr. Foundation Scholarship Program has been established to encourage talented students who have demonstrated an interest in a newspaper career. This interest should be in journalism. The scholarship will provide up to $3000 to a successful, highly motivated student for one year of college study. Apply Now
- The student must have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
- The student must carry a full-time course load and must regularly attend all classes.
- The applicants must have expressed and demonstrated an interest in a career in journalism. Examples of demonstrated interest would include published writing or editing.
- The ideal candidate has excellent communication and interpersonal skills, is highly motivated and has demonstrated leadership and problem-solving ability.
- Nomination/selection of recipient will be made by the University with final approval by The Palm Beach Post. (Interviews may be requested.)
Consideration will be made on the following:
- A transcript of completed college work.
- Two letters of recommendation. One must be from a member of the faculty of the student’s particular discipline.
- Three samples of work by the student.
Awards will be given without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, disability or national origin.
The $3000 Inez Persson Bailyn Scholarship is named in honor of Robert Bailyn’s wife Inez, a pioneer in the profession of journalism , once dominated by men. Inez left her farm home, 100 miles from the Arctic Circle, for the port city of Gavle in east Sweden to apprentice for the newspaper Gavle Dagblad. Her talent for writing and her ability to speak six languages earned her the distinction of being the first woman reporter at the newspaper. Apply Now
- Student must be a Multimedia Studies major
- Must have completed 18 hours in the major
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or better in the major