Recent Faculty Publications
The quality of the philosophy program at FAU is enhanced by an active research faculty that produces numerous professional publications, both at the national and the international levels.
Below are listed selected faculty publications from 2016 to 2018.
Copyright law prohibits the public posting of articles without explicit permission from the publishers. Where available, a link is provided to access the publisher's site from which the article can be downloaded, in accordance with the publisher's policies.
For a full list of faculty publications, please consult the faculty CVs that are posted on each faculty member's page, which can be accessed by clicking on the faculty member's name.
- " La chimie de Robert Boyle et la philosophie contemporaine de la chimie: Rencontre et perspectives", in La chimie, cette inconnue?, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored (Paris: Hermann) - Link
- "The Inadequacy of Husserlian Formal Mereology for the Regional Ontology of Quantum Chemical Wholes", in Thomas Seebohm on the Foundation of the Sciences: An Analysis and Critical Appraisal, edited by Thomas Nenon, Series: Contributions to Phenomenology (Dordrecht: Springer) - Link
- “The Explanatory Significance of Negative-Empirical Concepts in Daniel Sennert’s Experimental Chymistry”, in Proceedings of the 21st Conference of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored, Synthese Library (Dordrecht: Springer) – Forthcoming
- “The Changing Relation Between Atomicity and Elementarity From Lavoisier to Dalton”, in The Concept of the Element, edited by Elena Ghibaudi and Eric Scerri (Oxford: Oxford University Press) – Forthcoming
- "Hermeneutic Technics and the Engineering of Nanomaterials", in Ethics and Chemistry: A Multidisciplinary Investigation, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored (London: World Scientific Publishers) - Forthcoming
- "Il Minimo, l’Unità, e l'Universo Infinito Nella Cosmologia Vitalistica di Giordano Bruno", in Platone nel pensiero moderno e contemporaneo, Volume XV, edited by Andrea Muni (Milano: Limina Mentis) - Link
- “The Function of Microstructure in Boyle’s Chemical Philosophy: ‘Chymical Atoms’ and Structural Explanation”, Foundations of Chemistry - Link
- Guest editor, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part II, Vol. 19, No. 3. Link
- Guest editorial introduction, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part II, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 3-4. Link
- Guest editor, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part I, Vol. 19, No. 1. Link
- Guest editorial introduction, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part I, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 3-4 . Link
- "Il Neoplatonismo Nell' Ontologia Chimica di Jan Baptista van Helmont", in Platone nel pensiero moderno e contemporaneo, Volume X, edited by Andrea Muni (Milano: Limina Mentis). Link to Paper Link to Volume
- "The Rise and Fall of Soviet Communism and Global Capitalism, and the New Socialist World Order", in Alternatives, edited by Alexander Buzgalin - Forthcoming.
- "The Hermeneutic Human and Social Sciences", Hermeneutic Philosophies of the Social Sciences, edited by Babette Babich (Berlin: de Guyter) - Forthcoming.
- "Experience, Understanding and the Translational Transformation of Reality", Translational Hermeneutics: The Second Symposium, edited by John Stanley et al (Bucharest: Zeta Books) - Forthcoming.
- "Against the Relativity of Beauty: A Reply to Mock", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press, 2018) - Forthcoming.
- "Beauty is Objective", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press, 2018) - Forthcoming.
- "Ethical Arguments Against Women in Ground Combat: A New Perspective", Military Ethics - Forthcoming.
- "Iki and Glamour as Aesthetic Properties of Persons: Reflections in a Cross-Cultural Mirror", in New Essays in Japanese Aesthetics: Philosophy, Culture, Literature, and the Visual Arts, edited by Minh Nguyen (Rowman and Littlefield) - Forthcoming.
- "Teresa Brennan, William James, and the Energetic Demands of Ethics", Journal of Speculative Philosophy - Forthcoming
- "The Age of Paranoia: Teresa Brennan's Posthumous Insights for the Present", differences - A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies, Vol. 30, No. 2 - Forthcoming
- "Unsettling the Coloniality of the Affect: Transcontinental Reverberations Between Teresa Brennan and Sylvia Wynter", philoSOPHIA, Vol. 9, No. 1 - Forthcoming
- "Queer Orientations", 50 Concepts for a Critical Phenomenology, edited by Weiss, Murphy, and Salamon (Northwestern University Press) - Forthcoming
- "Amy Allen", with Rebekah Spera, in Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy, edited by Sellers and Kirste (Springer) - Forthcoming
- "The Violence of Curiosity: Butler's Foucault, Foucault's Herculine, and the Will-to-Know", philoSOPHIA - Forthcoming
- "On Afro-Caribbean Philosophy: Metaphilosophical Inquiry and Black Existence", in APA Newsletter on Philosophy and the Black Experience - Forthcoming.
- "On Race" (Interview), in 33 Philosophers on Race, edited by George Yancy (Oxford: Oxford University Press) - Forthcoming.
For more information about Dr. Shusterman's publications, lectures, and conference presentations, upcoming events, and other news, please visit his website.