Recent Faculty Publications
The quality of the philosophy program at FAU is enhanced by an active research faculty that produces numerous professional publications, both at the national and the international levels.
Below are listed selected faculty publications from 2016 to 2018.
Copyright law prohibits the public posting of articles without explicit permission from the publishers. Where available, a link is provided to access the publisher's site from which the article can be downloaded, in accordance with the publisher's policies.
For a full list of faculty publications, please consult the faculty CVs that are posted on each faculty member's page, which can be accessed by clicking on the faculty member's name.
- "Il Minimo, l’Unità, e l'Universo Infinito Nella Cosmologia Vitalistica di Giordano Bruno", in Platone nel pensiero moderno e contemporaneo, Volume XV, edited by Andrea Muni (Milano: Limina Mentis) - Link
- " La chimie de Robert Boyle et la philosophie contemporaine de la chimie: Rencontre et perspectives", in La chimie, cette inconnue?, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored (Paris: Hermann) - Link
- “The Function of Microstructure in Boyle’s Chemical Philosophy: ‘Chymical Atoms’ and Structural Explanation”, Foundations of Chemistry - Forthcoming
- "The Inapplicability of Husserlian Formal Mereology for the Regional Ontology of Quantum Chemical Wholes", in a special volume honoring the work of Thomas Seebohm, edited by Thomas Neenon - Forthcoming
- “The Explanatory Significance of Negative-Empirical Concepts in Daniel Sennert’s Experimental Chymistry”, in Proceedings of the 21st Conference of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored, Synthese Library (Dordrecht: Springer) – Forthcoming
- “The Changing Relation Between Atomicity and Elementarity From Lavoisier to Dalton”, in The Concept of the Element, edited by Elena Ghibaudi and Eric Scerri (Oxford: Oxford University Press) – Forthcoming
- "Hermeneutic Technics and teh Engineering of Nanomaterials", in Ethics and Chemistry: A Multidisciplinary Investigation, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored (London: World Scientific Publishers) - Forthcoming
- Guest editor, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part II, Vol. 19, No. 3. Link
- Guest editorial introduction, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part II, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 3-4. Link
- Guest editor, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part I, Vol. 19, No. 1. Link
- Guest editorial introduction, Foundations of Chemistry, Special issue for the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part I, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 3-4 . Link
- "Il neoplatonismo nell' ontologia chimica di Jan Baptista van Helmont", in Platone nel pensiero moderno e contemporaneo, Volume X, edited by Andrea Muni (Milano: Limina Mentis). Link to Paper Link to Volume
- "Schutz's Contribution to a Philosophical Dialogue at the Royaumont Conference in 1957" (Transcription of recorded lecture by Schutz in French and translation of French lecture into English), Schutzian Research 8, pp. 13-15. Link
- "Reality Without Reification: Philosophy of Chemistry's Contribution to Philosophy of Mind" with Jean-Pierre Noël Llored, in Essays in the Philosophy of Chemistry, edited by Grant Fischer and Eric Scerri (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp. 83-110. Link
- "The Rise and Fall of Soviet Communism and Global Capitalism, and the New Socialist World Order", in Alternatives, edited by Alexander Buzgalin - Forthcoming.
- "The Hermeneutic Human and Social Sciences", Hermeneutic Philosophies of the Social Sciences, edited by Babette Babich (Berlin: de Guyter) - Forthcoming.
- "Experience, Understanding and the Translational Transformation of Reality", Translational Hermeneutics: The Second Symposium, edited by John Stanley et al (Bucharest: Zeta Books) - Forthcoming.
- "Iconic and Symbolic Language", in The Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory, edited by M.A. Peters (Dordrecht: Springer). Link
- "Against the Relativity of Beauty: A Reply to Mock", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press, 2018) - Forthcoming.
- "Beauty is Objective", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press, 2018) - Forthcoming.
- "Ethical Arguments Against Women in Ground Combat: A New Perspective", Military Ethics - Forthcoming.
- "Iki and Glamour as Aesthetic Properties of Persons: Reflections in a Cross-Cultural Mirror", in New Essays in Japanese Aesthetics: Philosophy, Culture, Literature, and the Visual Arts, edited by Minh Nguyen (Rowman and Littlefield) - Forthcoming.
- "The Violence of Curiosity: Butler's Foucault, Foucault's Herculine, and the Will-to-Know", philoSOPHIA - Forthcoming
- "Amy Allen", with Rebekah Spera, in Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy, edited by Sellers and Kirste (Springer) - Forthcoming
- "Curiosity-as-Care: Feminist Philosophies of Disability, Foucault, and the Ethics of Curiosity", APA Newsletter on Philosophy and Medicine (Fall 2016). Link
- Review of Alexist Shotwell's Knowing Otherwise: Race, Gender, and Implicit Understanding (2011), philoSOPHIA, Vol. 6, No. 1 (February 2016). Link
- "On Afro-Caribbean Philosophy: Metaphilosophical Inquiry and Black Existence", in APA Newsletter on Philosophy and the Black Experience - Forthcoming.
- "On Race" (Interview), in 33 Philosophers on Race, edited by George Yancy (Oxford: Oxford University Press) - Forthcoming.
- "Three recent Texts in Africana Philosophy: Overcoming Disciplinary Decadence", Journal of World Philosophies, Vol. 1 (Winter 2016), pp. 141-149. Link
- "Bergson, Senghor and the Philosophical Foundations of Negritude: Intellect, Intuition, and Knowledge", in Beyond Bergson: Race, Gender, and Colonialism, edited by Andrea Pitts and Mark William (New York: SUNY Press).
For more information about Dr. Shusterman's publications, lectures, and conference presentations, upcoming events, and other news, please visit his website.