Recent Faculty Publications
The quality of the philosophy program at FAU is enhanced by an active research faculty that produces numerous professional publications, both at the national and the international levels.
Below are listed selected faculty publications from 2018 to 2020.
Copyright law prohibits the public posting of articles without explicit permission from the publishers. Where available, a link is provided to access the publisher's site from which the article can be downloaded, in accordance with the publisher's policies.
For a full list of faculty publications, please consult the faculty CVs that are posted on each faculty member's page, which can be accessed by clicking on the faculty member's name.
- The Chemical Philosophy of Robert Boyle: Mechanicism, Chymical Atoms, and Emergence (Oxford: Oxford University Press) - Release Date: July 2020. Link
- "The Inadequacy of Husserlian Formal Mereology for the Regional Ontology of Quantum Chemical Wholes", in Thomas Seebohm on the Foundation of the Sciences: An Analysis and Critical Appraisal, edited by Thomas Nenon, Series: Contributions to Phenomenology (Dordrecht: Springer, 2020), pp. 135-151. Link Link
- "The Changing Relation Between Atomicity and Elementarity From Lavoisier to Dalton”, in What is a Chemical Element? A Collection of Essays by Chemists, Philosophers, Historians, and Educators, edited by Elena Ghibaudi and Eric Scerri (Oxford: Oxford University Press) – In Press
- “The Explanatory Significance of Negative-Empirical Concepts in Daniel Sennert’s Experimental Chymistry”, in Proceedings of the 21st Conference of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored, Synthese Library (Dordrecht: Springer) – Forthcoming
- "Phenomenological Epistemology and Nanotechnology: Scanning Tunneling Microscopy as Hermeneutic Technics", in Ethics and Chemistry: A Multidisciplinary Investigation, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored (London: World Scientific Publishers) - Forthcoming
- " La chimie de Robert Boyle et la philosophie contemporaine de la chimie: Rencontre et perspectives", in La chimie, cette inconnue?, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored (Paris: Hermann) - Link
- "Sull'inadeguatezza della mereologia formale husserliana per l'ontologia regionale degli insiemi chimici", Philosophy Kitchen: Rivista di Filosofia Contemporanea, Vol. 7, No. 11 (September 2019), pp. 95-112. Link
- “Mechanism and Chemistry in Early Modern Natural Philosophy”, in Encyclopedia of Early Modern Philosophy and the Sciences, edited by Dana Jalobeanu and Charles T. Wolfe (Dordrecht: Springer Nature) – Hard copy and online at https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-319-20791-9_145-1
- Review of Jon Perry, Dialogue on Consciousness: Minds, Brains, and Zombies (Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing, 2018), Teaching Philosophy, Vol. 42, Issue 2 (June 2019), pp 155-157. Link
- “The Function of Microstructure in Boyle’s Chemical Philosophy: ‘Chymical Atoms’ and Structural Explanation”, Foundations of Chemistry, Volume 21, No. 1, pp. 51-59 - Link
- "Il Minimo, l’Unità, e l'Universo Infinito Nella Cosmologia Vitalistica di Giordano Bruno", in Platone nel pensiero moderno e contemporaneo, Volume XV, edited by Andrea Muni (Milano: Limina Mentis) - Link
- "The Postmodern Constitution of an Ethics of Empathy", in Anthology of Philosophical Studies, Vol. 14 (Athens, Greece: Athens Institute for Education and Research) - Forthcoming
- "Alternative Realities and Why Truly 'There is Nothing Outside the Text'", in Proceedings of the XXIV World Congress of Philosophy (Beijing: Beijing University) - Forthcoming
- "The Demise of Objective Verification, and the Case for Instrospective Human and Social Sciences", in Proceedings of the XXIV World Congress of Philosophy (Beijing: Beijing University) - Forthcoming
- "Democracy, Liberalism, Torture, and Extra-Judicial Assassination", in Proceedings of the XXIII World Congress of Philosophy (Ohio: Philosophy Documentation Center) - Forthcoming
- "The Methodology of the Human and Social Science", in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Humanities and Social Sciences (Schenzen, China: Atlantis Press) - Forthcoming
- The De(con)struction of Ethical Foundations", in An Anthology of Philosophical Studies, Vol. 12 (Athens, Greece: Athens Institute for Education and Research).
- Experience, Understanding and the Translational Transformation of Reality", Translational Hermeneutics: The Second Symposium, edited by John Stanley et al. (Bucharest: Zeta Books).
- "The Hermeneutic Human and Social Sciences", Hermeneutic Philosophies of the Social Sciences, edited by Babette Babich (Berlin: de Guyter) - Forthcoming
- Aesthetics, Glamour, and Persons (Bloomsbury Press) - Forthcoming
- "Against the Relativity of Beauty: A Reply to Mock", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press) - Forthcoming
- "Beauty is Objective", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press) - Forthcoming
- Critical Review of Thomas Hilgers' Aesthetic Disinterestedness: Art, Experience, and the Self - Forthcoming
- "Ethical Arguments Against Women in Ground Combat: A New Perspective", Military Ethics - Forthcoming
- "What Can the Philosophy of Chemistry Contribute to Critical Philosophy of Race: The Case of Phlogiston and Race, Foundations of Chemistry - Forthcoming
- "James Baldwin's Existential Ontology: On Writing Race, Being, and Existential Philosophy" - Forthcoming
- "Contextualization and Reconstruction in Mainstream Philosophy: Defending the Relevance and Significance of Philosophy in an Age of Pluralism", Florida Philosophical Review, Volume VXIII, Issue 1 (Spring 2019), pp. 16-38.
- "Bergson, Senghor, and the Philosophical Foundations of Negritude: Intellect, Intuition, and Knowledge, in Beyond Bergson: Race, Gender and Colonialism, edited by Andrea Pitts and Mark William (New York: SUNY Press), pp. 79-120.
"Wilson Harris, the Philosophy of History, and the Sovereignty of the Imagination: A Critical Reply to Duane Edwards", Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 8 (7), pp. 41-46.
- "Reading George Yancy's Backlash: Afro-Pessimism and the Conundrums of Liberalism", Philosophy Today, Volume 62, Issue 4 (Fall 2018), pp. 1219-12-41.
For more information about Dr. Shusterman's publications, lectures, and conference presentations, upcoming events, and other news, please visit his website.