Recent Faculty Publications
Below are listed selected faculty publications from 2015 to 2017.
Copyright law prohibits the public posting of articles without explicit permission from the publishers. Where available, a link is provided to access the publisher's site from which the article can be downloaded, in accordance with the publisher's policies.
For a full list of faculty publications, please consult the faculty CVs that are posted on our Faculty page.
Marina P. Banchetti
- Guest editor, Foundations of Chemistry, Selected papers presented at the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part II, Vol. 19, No. 2.
- Guest editorial introduction, Foundations of Chemistry, Selected papers presented at the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part II, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 3-4. Link
- Guest editor, Foundations of Chemistry, Selected papers presented at the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part I, Vol. 19, No. 1. Link
- Guest editorial introduction, Foundations of Chemistry, Selected papers presented at the 20th Annual Symposium of the International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry - Part I, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 3-4 . Link
- "Il neoplatonismo nell' ontologia chimica di Jan Baptista van Helmont", in Platone nel pensiero moderno e contemporaneo, Volume X, edited by Andrea Muni (Milano: Limina Mentis). Link to Paper Link to Volume
- " La chimie de Robert Boyle et la philosophie contemporaine de la chimie: Rencontre et perspectives", in La chimie, cette inconnue?, edited by Jean-Pierre Llored (Paris: Hermann) - In press
- "The Inadequacy of Husserlian Formal Mereology for the Regional Ontology of Chemical Wholes", in a special volume honoring the work of Thomas Seebohm, edited by Thomas Neenon - Forthcoming
- "Schutz's Contribution to a Philosophical Dialogue at the Royaumont Conference in 1957" (Transcription of recorded lecture by Schutz in French and translation of French lecture into English), Schutzian Research 8, pp. 13-15. Link
- "Reality Without Reification: Philosophy of Chemistry's Contribution to Philosophy of Mind" with Jean-Pierre Noël Llored, in Essays in the Philosophy of Chemistry, edited by Grant Fischer and Eric Scerri (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp. 83-110. Link
- "Van Helmont's Hybrid Ontology and Its Influence on the Chemical Interpretation of Spirit and Ferment", in Foundations of Chemistry, Vol. 18, pp. 103-112. Link
Lester Embree †
- Edition with Richard Zaner of Dorion Cairns, "Beginning in Phenomenological Psychology," Journal of Phenomenological Psychology, 7 (2016), 62-82. Translation in Escritos de Filosofia (Argentina), Año II, No. 2, Enero-Diciembre 2014, pp. 229-251.
- "Phenomenology at the New School for Social Research," invited for The Reception of Husserlian Phenomenology in North America, ed. Michela Ferri and Carlo Ierna - Forthcoming.
- "Further Reflective Analysis of Some Sensuous Appearances in Humans," invited for Archivo di filosofia – Archives of Philosophy (Italy) vol. LXXXIII, no.3 - Published as "Ulteriore analisi riflessiva delle aparenze sensoriali per gli umani," trans. Angelo Bottone.
- Schutzian Theory of the Cultural Sciences, Contributions to Phenomenology, Vol. 78 (Dordrecht: Springer). Link
- The Golden Age of Phenomenology at the New School for Social Research, edited by Lester Embree, Series in Continental Thought (Ohio University Press).
- With Richard Zaner of Dorion Cairns, "Beginning in Phenomenological Psychology," Journal of Phenomenological Psychology, 2015 and translated in Escritos de Filosofia (Argentina), 2015.
- " Два понятия «тип» в работах Альфреда Шюца ," Russian translation of: Lester Embree, "Two Concepts of Type in the Work of Alfred Schutz," Schutzian Research (December 2013, pp. 125-131), in Annual for Phenomenological Philosophy, (Ежегодник по феноменологической философии), Russian State University for the Humanities (RSUH-RGGU) Publishing House, Vol.5.
- "Życie w świecie życia a ekologizm" ["Life in the life-world and environmentalism"], Translated by Witold Płotka, in Wprowadzenie do fenomenologii. Pojęcia, metody, problemy [Introduction to Phenomenology. Concepts, Methods, Problems (Warsaw).
- "Czym jest analiza refleksyjna?" ["What is reflective analysis?"], translated by Witold Płotka, in Wprowadzenie do fenomenologii. Pojęcia, metody, problemy [Introduction to Phenomenology. Concepts, Methods, Problems (Warsaw).
- "The Examination of Extremely Negative Valuation," in The Golden Age of Phenomenology at the New School for Social Research, edited by Lester Embree (Ohio University Press).
- "My Greatest Lesson from the New School", in Golden Age of Phenomenology at the New School for Social Research, edited by Lester Embree (Ohio University Press).
- "The Vocation of Dorion Cairns," in The Golden Age of Phenomenology at the New School for Social Research, edited by Lester Embree (Ohio University Press).
† Deceased 19 January, 2017
- "The Rise and Fall of Soviet Communism and Global Capitalism, and the New Socialist World Order", in Alternatives, edited by Alexander Buzgalin - Forthcoming.
- "The Hermeneutic Human and Social Sciences", Hermeneutic Philosophies of the Social Sciences, edited by Babette Babich (Berlin: de Guyter) - Forthcoming.
- "Experience, Understanding and the Translational Transformation of Reality", Translational Hermeneutics: The Second Symposium, edited by John Stanley et al (Bucharest: Zeta Books) - Forthcoming.
- "Iconic and Symbolic Language", in The Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory, edited by M.A. Peters (Dordrecht: Springer). Link
Carol S. Gould
- "Against the Relativity of Beauty: A Reply to Mock", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press, 2018) - Forthcoming.
- "Beauty is Objective", in Disputations: An Introduction to Philosophical Problems, edited by Steven Cowan (Bloomsbury Press, 2018) - Forthcoming.
- "Ethical Arguments Against Women in Ground Combat: A New Perspective", Military Ethics - Forthcoming.
- "Iki and Glamour as Aesthetic Properties of Persons: Reflections in a Cross-Cultural Mirror", in New Essays in Japanese Aesthetics: Philosophy, Culture, Literature, and the Visual Arts, edited by Minh Nguyen (Rowman and Littlefield) - Forthcoming.
- "Critical Review of David Brendel's Healing Psychiatry", Philosophical Practice. Link
- "The Violence of Curiosity: Butler's Foucault, Foucault's Herculine, and the Will-to-Know", philoSOPHIA - Forthcoming
- "Amy Allen", with Rebekah Spera, in Encyclopedia of the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy, edited by Sellers and Kirste (Springer) - Forthcoming
- "Curiosity-as-Care: Feminist Philosophies of Disability, Foucault, and the Ethics of Curiosity", APA Newsletter on Philosophy and Medicine (Fall 2016). Link
- Review of Alexist Shotwell's Knowing Otherwise: Race, Gender, and Implicit Understanding (2011), philoSOPHIA, Vol. 6, No. 1 (February 2016). Link
- Review of Justin E.H. Smith's Nature, Human Nature, and Human Difference: Race in Early Modern Philosophy (2015), Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (December, 2015). Link
Clevis R. Headley
- "On Afro-Caribbean Philosophy: Metaphilosophical Inquiry and Black Existence", in APA Newsletter on Philosophy and the Black Experience - Forthcoming.
- "On Race" (Interview), in 33 Philosophers on Race, edited by George Yancy (Oxford: Oxford University Press) - Forthcoming.
- "Three recent Texts in Africana Philosophy: Overcoming Disciplinary Decadence", Journal of World Philosophies, Vol. 1 (Winter 2016), pp. 141-149. Link
- "Bergson, Senghor and the Philosophical Foundations of Negritude: Intellect, Intuition, and Knowledge", in Beyond Bergson: Race, Gender, and Colonialism, edited by Andrea Pitts and Mark William (New York: SUNY Press).
- On Africana Philosophy: Overcoming Decadence Through the Teleological Suspension of Philosophy", Critical Philosophy of Race, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 70-90.
- "Between Africa and the Caribbean: The Nature of Afro-Caribbean Philosophy", Handbook of African Philosophy, edited by Adeshina Afolayan and Toyin Falola (London: Palgrave).
- "James Baldwin's Existential Ontology: On Writing, Race, Being and Existential Philosophy", in Thinking Through Baldwin, edited by James Haile (Columbia University Press).
- "Glissant's Existential Ontology of Difference", in Theorizing Glissant: Sites and Citations, edited by John Drabinski and Marisa Perham (Lanham, MA), pp. 53-84.
Richard M. Shusterman
- "Fits of Fashion: The Somaesthetics of Style", in Philosophical Perspectives on Fashion, edited by Stefano Marino and Giovanni Matteucci (London: Bloomsbury), pp. 91-106.
- 《身体美学与中国哲学》"Somaesthetics and Chinese Philosophy", 江海学 Jianghai Academic Journal, Vol. 4, pp. 41-47.
- "Somaesthetics and the Fine Art of Eati ng", in Body Aesthetics, edited by Sherri Irvin (Oxford: Oxford University Press), pp. 261-280.
- "A filozófiai életvitel példázatai - Dewey, Wittgenstein, Foucault", translated by Nora Horvath, Muhely, Vol.39, Nos. 2-3, pp. 12-22 and pp. 47-55.
- "Somaesthetics and Chinese Philosophy: Between Unity and Pragmatism", Frontiers of Philosophy in China, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 201-211.
- "Transactional Experiential Inquiry: From Pragmatism to Somaesthetics", Contemporary Pragmatism, Vol. 12, pp. 180-195.
- "Le philosophe sans la parole: La philosophie comme art performative dans les gestes de l'Homme en Or", in Quand le geste fait sense, edited by Lucia Angelino (Paris: Editions Mimesis), pp. 149-165.
- "Bourdieu and Pragmatist Aesthetics: Between Practice and Experience", New Literary History, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 435-457.