The School has a full-time Coordinator of Computer Applications to manage and support both the students, staff and the faculty. The technician is responsible for maintaining the School's computers, servers and printers. Students can also find help with configuring their own systems for connection to the FAU network, the SoA file server and printing. Help can be found by stopping by during posted hours to room HEC 607A at the FAU Fort Lauderdale campus.
The School of Architecture operates multiple studio spaces at the FAU Fort Lauderdale Campus. These are geared towards the program's upper division studio courses and are located on the 6th ,7th and 8th floors of the FAU Higher Education Complex. Beginning in the Fall 2013 semester, all SoA computers are located in HEC610 (Student Activity Center). SoA computers are connected to the HP LaserJet printer and HP Design Jet plotter in HEC610. In addition, the open computer lab located in HEC 611 is available for all FAU students during posted hours,. The lab provides printing services for all students and special printing and plotting for those students in the Architecture studio courses. SoA operates a studio space for the lower division at the FAU Boca Raton Campus. Each semester the studio computers undergo a maintenance cycle in which they are erased and restored with updated software.
All of the computers in the studio areas are Apple. The upper division studios are equipped with Intel-based 21.5" widescreen Apple iMacs, while the lower division is equipped with Intel-based 20" widescreen Apple iMacs. All computers located in HEC607 are equipped to print and plot to the laserjet and plotter located in HEC607.
The Apple hardware in the SoA studio gives use the unique ability to support a wide range of platform specific software. Each studio computer is dual-boot, or capable of booting the latest version of Mac OS X, as well as Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. The systems are regularly updated to the current industry versions of productivity, creative, design, architecture and 3D modeling software.
Printing and Plotting
SoA students working from their own computer or laptop can print to the printer and plotter located in HEC610 and the 8th floor studio space. All printers can be reached on the FAU network via IP Printing. Each printer is labeled with the correct IP address and can be added to student computers. Please consult the SoA Computer Technician for help adding the SoA printers.
The School of Architecture maintains college server that hosts file, imaging and backup services. The server can only be access while connected to the FAU network, or though the FAU VPN service maintained by OIT. All Studio computers and SoA faculty/staff computers have access to this server for student/faculty file sharing. For directions or help in connecting, visit the SoA computer technician.
- Intel Core i5 or higher (recommended) with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installed
- Intel Core i5 or higher Apple Computer with OS 10.8 or higher
- 6 GB+ RAM minimum
- 500 GB+ hard drive, 1 TB preferred. S.S.D or SATA
- 8x double-layer (DVD ± R DL / DVD ± RW / CD-RW)
- 256MB+ of video RAM (a separate graphics card not shared memory)
- USB ports (3.0 version)
- IEEE 1394 Port (aka firewire or iLink)
- Minimum 100MB Ethernet port, 1GB Ethernet port recommended
- Monitor - 21" or larger (necessary for desktop, optional for laptop)
- 802.11G,N,AC Wifi for laptops
- Hardware warranty minimum two years
- 500 Gb or 1 Terabyte Hard drive for backup
- 32 or 64 Mb flash drive for data transfers
- Microsoft Office 2011 or 2013
- Adobe Acrobat Pro or Free PDF Creation software
- Adobe CS 6 Design and Web Premium. Adobe Creative Cloud under evaluation and not recommended at this time
- Antivirus - Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, McAfee
- AutoDesk Educational Products Free Download http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software
- SketchUp 2013
- Google Earth
- Web browsers - Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari
- Free architectural software for design and rendering - ArchiCad,Lumion
- File transfer software- Dropbox, Box, Google Drive (FAU Student Account)