Call for Participants: Spring 2014 Debate with Japanese National Debate Team
Agora Project Call for Participants
Spring 2014 Debate with Japanese National Debate Team
Deadline for Submission: February 14
FAU’s Agora Project is excited to announce that Florida Atlantic University has been selected to host the Japanese National Debate Team on its campuses March 9-March 11th. We are seeking two motivated students to represent FAU in a public debate against the Japanese National Debate Team on March 10, 2014 from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Ideal candidates would have an extensive background in public presentation including debate, speech or forensic events. Candidates should be comfortable speaking in front of a large audience, be generally aware of world affairs and be willing to work with faculty from the School of Communication & Multimedia Studies in preparation for the event. All students (including undergraduate and graduate students) are eligible for selection. Japanese language skills are not required.
Selected students should anticipate dedicating approximately 5 hours a week of preparation time for the debate in the weeks leading up to the event on March 10th.
Students selected as FAU’s representatives in the debate will have the privilege of:
- Attending host activities such as receptions and lunches (as the student’s schedule permits)
- Enjoying a reception and dinner to follow the debate
- Receiving a Certificate of Commendation in appreciation of your service and dedication to the university
Since 1922, the Committee on Discussion and Debate has sponsored exchanges between countries all over the globe including Australia, India, England, and Poland and with prestigious institutions such as Oxford and Cambridge universities. Consider becoming part of FAU’s historic selection as a host institution for the Japanese National Debate Team by sending self-nominations to:
Dr. William Trapani, Director of the Agora Project, CU 212, Boca Campus or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following:
- A 1-2 page letter of interest that describes the applicant’s relevant skills, experience and interest in the program.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- One letter of support from a member of the faculty, staff or administration that speaks to the candidate’s experience, maturity, professionalism and dynamic presence.
The deadline for submission is February 14th. Selected students will be notified by February 18th.