assiStance for students affected by hurricane maria in puerto rico and the usvi
FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
Florida Atlantic University is extending support to residents of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands that have been impacted by hurricane Maria and are interested in continuing their education at FAU. The University is offering a welcoming home by putting in place the following mechanisms for a smooth transition from institutions in Puerto Rico and the USVI.
- Out of State Tuition Waiver – for temporary relief. With this waiver, displaced students from Puerto Rico and the USVI will be able to enroll in undergraduate courses at FAU, at in-state tuition and fees, during the Fall 2017 (current affected students) and Spring 2018 Semesters (including the Early Spring Intersession).
- In some cases the Latin American and Caribbean Scholarship may be awarded instead of the waiver.
- Waiver for application fee- the $30.00 application fee for undergraduate admissions will be waived for students transferring from post-secondary institutions in Puerto Rico and the USVI.
- Waiver for the $100.00 tuition deposit for transfer students.
UNDERGRADUATE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Apply to FAU at apply.fau.edu
- Submit post-secondary transcripts.
If you have completed less than 30 post-secondary credits you will also need to submit standardized test scores (SAT or ACT).
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will work with students that are unable to provide documents on a case-by-case basis.
If you have access to a computer and Internet, we may be able to process electronic documents.
The mailing address for any documents that cannot be submitted electronically is:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
777 Glades Road - SU 80
P.O. Box 3091
Boca Raton, FL 33431-0991
- Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to apply for the out of state waiver and to request waiving of the application fee. Make sure to mention on your email that Hurricane Maria has impacted you.
FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
The Graduate College established the following procedures to facilitate the admission and enrollment process for graduates entering a graduate program in Spring 2018 from institutions in Purerto Rico and the USVI.
- Out of State Tuition Waiver (for temporary relief).
With this waiver, displaced students from Puerto Rico and the USVI will be able to enroll in graduate courses at FAU, at in-state tuition and fees, during the Spring 2018 semester.
- Waiver for application fee.
The $30 application fee for graduate admissions will be waived for graduates of institutions in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands impacted by Hurricane Maria and seeking admission to a graduate degree program starting Spring 2018.
GRADUATE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Identify the Graduate Degree Program to which you are applying.
- Determine the Spring 2018 Degree Program Application Deadlines for domestic students, and contact the Graduate College for a potential application deadline extension, if needed.
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities to the Graduate College at the address below. If you have access to a computer and internet, we may be able to process electronic documents.
Florida Atlantic University
SU-80, Room 101
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
The Graduate College will work with students who are unable to provide documents on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Graduate College at email@example.com or 561-297-3624.
- Follow the steps below to begin your online graduate application:
Go to owlapp.fau.edu
Log in by completing "First Time Applicants" form or entering email/password and clicking "Login"
Complete the online Graduate Application
- Once you submit your online graduate application, please contact the Graduate College to apply for the out of state waiver and to request waiving of the application fee. Make sure to mention on your email that Hurricane Maria has affected you.
For more information about this, please visit our FAQ's.
For additional information, or to learn more about the out-of-state tuition waiver contact us.