WAC Committee Procedures for Approving Syllabi
The WAC syllabus approval process takes between 4 to 12 weeks for existing courses that are being revised to meet the WAC criteria. WAC syllabi for new courses take approximately 8 to 16 weeks to approve. The process is outlined below:
- Review WAC criteria and use them to develop your syllabus.
- Submit syllabus and sample assignment to Director of WAC program via e-mail in MS Word or RTF format.
- WAC program Director and Assistant Director review the syllabus and offer suggestions in anticipation of the WAC Committee review (often faculty revise before an official WAC Committee review).
- Syllabus is sent to at least two members of the University WAC committee for review with a two week deadline for feedback.
- Recommendations from the reviewers are forwarded to authors.
- If necessary, syllabi are revised and resubmitted for a second committee review.
- If the syllabus is for an College Writing / ENC 1102 replacement, the syllabus must also be approved by the English Department's Writing Committee.
- Departmental approval can be obtained before or after WAC committee review.
- College Curriculum Committee review typically occurs after WAC approval (and, if applicable, Writing Committee approval).
- Approval notice is sent to faculty with the appropriate UUPC course form.
- Faculty complete and submit the UUPC form and submit it with the syllabus at least one full week before the next scheduled UUPC meeting.
- If the course is new, faculty member contacts the Registrar’s Office for a course number.
- After formal approval by UUPC, the syllabus is forwarded to the Faculty Senate for approval.
- New courses are then sent to Tallahassee for State certification as a Gordon Rule course.